Our MBA course offers you a carefully structured, immersive experience that will empower you to push beyond your boundaries. It is designed to focus on developing the capabilities you need to be competitive and successful in any industry or entrepreneurial venture.
By honing your skills in leadership, critical thinking and communication, you will work to improve your performance. Your Newcastle MBA journey has been carefully designed to provide you with the opportunity to:
- enhance your self-awareness
- integrate and apply your learning
- develop your consulting skills
- contribute to, and lead, multicultural teams
You will emerge more confident, capable and better equipped to drive change within your organisation and excel in your career.
Newcastle University Business School has over 3,500 students representing over 93 nationalities. Our location and modern design create a dynamic centre point for a valuable network of:
- regional, national and international thought leaders
- leading professions
We are part of an elite group of Business Schools worldwide that hold triple accreditation from the three internationally recognised accreditation bodies. In 2018 we celebrate 30 years of AMBA accreditation.
Immersive business experiencesImmersive business experiences
Through experiential and applied learning, you will integrate your knowledge gained from across your MBA.
Year-long compulsory modules
Business in Action runs throughout the year and offers you an innovative approach to management education. You will take part in a range of real-time challenges, using your skills and learning by applying them to operational and strategic issues within a constrained timeframe. You will gain valuable knowledge from business leaders, worldwide alumni and academic mentors.
The Personal and Professional Transformation module develops your understanding of your own career values and drivers. It is delivered through a structured series of:
- skills enhancement workshops
- personality testing
- leadership development activities
- career development planning sessions
You will work with the module team and our MBA Careers Adviser to develop and understand how to implement your personal and professional development plan.
The Leadership Series provides you with insight and knowledge from business leaders around the world on an array of topical business issues. It is a great opportunity for you to learn from those in leadership positions and network with our broader community.
Join digital leaders and innovators from the region in a live Q&A session as part of the elective Digital Business module.
Corporate projectsCorporate projects
Your corporate projects give you the opportunity to explore in practice the challenges and opportunities experienced by organisations. Projects are sourced across a variety of organisations and industries to give you exposure at a regional, national, or international scale.
Management consultancy project
Build on the consultancy and business skills you have learnt through the programme. You will work with your fellow students as a consulting team to respond to an organisation's project brief. You will then present a series of recommendations in response to the organisation’s objectives and deliverables.
Previous projects have included a:
- marketing and internationalisation strategy for an environmental products manufacturer
- social media led sales and marketing strategy for a healthcare organisation
- business growth model for a social enterprise
Your MBA culminates in a final project drawing together the entirety of your MBA learning. This includes an executive summary and a set of credible recommendations derived from your research and written for a management audience.
You can choose from a range of project options:
- Research project. Similar to a traditional dissertation, you will report on an in-depth project researching and analysing a business issue of interest and relevance to you.
- Corporate project. You will analyse and evaluate a current business issue with an external organisation. Apply for a project with one of our corporate partners, or source your own project from an organisation of your choice.
- Business plan. If you are planning to start your own business, you can choose to write a comprehensive business plan as your final project.
Global opportunitiesGlobal opportunities
In an increasingly competitive marketplace, employers are looking for leaders with the knowledge, ability and ambition to shape the future of global organisations. With our MBA, you will develop these competencies and more from our global opportunities.
International study tour
Take part in a one-week international study tour that includes lectures at one of our partner business schools in Europe and visits to global businesses. This will give you the opportunity to apply your MBA learning in an international environment. This trip is optional and costs are not included in your tuition fees.
Transatlantic Virtual Case Competition
Work virtually across time zones and continents in collaboration with students from Boston University Questrom School of Business. You will compete in teams with peers from Boston to solve a business problem. Your team will receive coaching from our highly successful alumni mentors.
The competition culminates with a presentation of your team’s solution to a panel of esteemed judges.
Gain a global advantage
Each year, inspiring keynote speakers, interactive workshops and networking opportunities with prominent global leaders form part of our Career Development Week and Gain a Global Advantage event programmes.
As a member of our MBA cohort, you can reap the benefits of our global alumni programme throughout your MBA study and beyond. You will become part of our valued alumni network benefitting from our:
- established and active alumni across the world
- engaging calendar of events
- exclusive benefits and services for our students and graduates
Contact UsContact Us
To book a 1-2-1 consultation with one of our MBA admissions team, fill out this form on our Business School website.
In the news
Newcastle moves up 20 places into the top 150 in the QS World University Rankings 2019.
published on: 15 June 2018
We are pleased to be part of the UK government's pilot to streamline Tier 4 visa applications.
published on: 10 April 2018
Want to know more about postgraduate study? Come along to one of our PG Café events on the 18 July on our city campus.
published on: 10 July 2018
Student blogger Kinsey tells us about the differences between studying in the US and the UK.
published on: 6 July 2018
You will study modules on this course. A module is a unit of a course with its own approved aims and outcomes and assessment methods.
Modules for 2018 entry
Compulsory modulesCompulsory modules
- NBS8122 Accounting and Finance
- NBS8124 Strategic Marketing
- NBS8126 Strategic Management
- NBS8128 Transitions in the Global Economy
- NBS8130 Management Consultancy Project
- NBS8159 Organisations and People Management
- NBS8490 Business in Action
- NBS8491 Personal and Professional Transformation
- NBS8493 Corporate Social Responsibility and the Challenge of Ethical Business
- NBS8497 Entrepreneurship
- NBS8520 Individual Project
Optional modulesOptional modules
You take optional modules to the value of 10 credits in Semester 1 from the following list’
- NBS8123 Strategic Human Resource Management
- NBS8125 Operations and Supply Chain Management
- NBS8494 Project and Programme Management
You take optional modules to the value of 10 credits in Semester 2 from the following list’
- NBS8013 Leading Organisational Change
- NBS8096 Finance and Investment
- NBS8101 International Marketing
You take optional modules to the value of 10 credits in Semseter 2 from the following list’
Modules change annually to take account of:
- changing staff expertise
- developments in the discipline
- the requirements of external bodies and partners
- student feedback.
Most module information for 2019 entry will be available from mid-May 2019.
Develop core skillsDevelop core skills
You will take six compulsory modules in Semester 1.
- Accounting and Finance. Module Leader: Dr Aly Salama
- Organisations and People Management. Module Leader: Dr Frank Worthington
- Strategic Management. Module Leader: Dr Tom McGovern
- Strategic Marketing. Module leader: Professor Fred Lemke
- Transitions in the Global Economy. Module Leader: Professor Steve Hughes
Select one module to suit your interests from the following.
- Operations and Supply Chain Management. Module Leader: Dr Adrian Small
- Project and Programme Management. Module Leader: Dr Karen Elliott
- Strategic Human Resource Management. Module Leader: Professor Steve Procter
At the end of Semester 1, you take part in our Business Awareness Experience. It allows you to practice and consolidate your understanding of core business skills in a week-long series of intensive sessions. You will work in project teams to apply your learning and experience to explore and develop solutions to challenges encountered in a variety of industries and organisations.
Prepare for global businessPrepare for global business
- Corporate Social Responsibility. Module Leader: Dr Peter Edward
- Entrepreneurship. Module Leader: Dr Robert Newbery
In Semester 2 select one module from each group to suit your interests.
- Finance and Investment. Module Leader: Dr Thanos Verousis
- International Marketing. Module Leader: Mr Robert Bing
- Leading Organisational Change. Module Leader: Dr Oliver Mallett
- Digital Business. Module Leader: Rebecca Casey
- Emerging Economies: Challenges and Opportunities. Module Leader: Professor Steve Hughes
- Managing for Innovation. Module Leader: Professor Jonathan Sapsed
The Career Enhancement Experience takes place during Semester 2. It is delivered by a former senior Human Resource Director and a range of human resource and learning and development practitioners. This experience, which will include one-to-one feedback, exposes you to the sorts of activities used in large corporate recruitment, preparing you for the recruitment processes used by major employers.
Demonstrate impactDemonstrate impact
Transform your business thinkingTransform your business thinking
Curious about what our graduates have gone on to do? Find out about opportunities they’ve pursued, and how we can help you develop your career.
Your career developmentYour career development
Our MBA careers package offers you a range of information and resources which work hand-in-hand with the classroom, networking and one-to-one support. Find out how we can help you develop your career and what our MBA graduates have gone on to do.
Formulate your career strategy
We work with you to help you understand your skills, motivations and career drivers. We will use this intelligence to formulate your career development strategy. This includes:
- Personal and Professional Transformation module
- career leader assessment (online self-assessment programme)
- MBTI personality test
- self-marketing for employability
- application, CV and cover letter feedback and development support
Develop your plan of action
Whether you need to research sectors and employers, develop a business plan or build your connections, we’ll support you to develop your career action plan. We do this through:
- personal development experience
- business start-up support
- online resources, including Going Global and Workmaze
- business networking
- sector insights with employer events and presentations
Your next career moveYour next career move
We will support you during your programme and beyond graduation, with extended careers support. This includes:
- application, CV and cover letter support
- practice interviews and assessment centres
- Newcastle Work Experience
- peer review
- leadership guest speaker series
- recruitment fairs
- online resources, including Business Because, MBA Exchange, QS Global Workplace and Graduate Connects
58% of our MBA graduates changed sector post-MBA. Our top five pre-MBA employment sectors are:
- engineering and manufacturing 24%
- energy and utilities 16%
- teaching and education 10%
- healthcare 8%
- information technology 8%
Our top five post-MBA employment sectors are:
- energy and utilities 16%
- consulting 12%
- financial services 12%
- not-for-profit 12%
- information technology 10%
Graduates from this course have undertaken various roles including:
- Commercial Executive
- Product Marketing Director
- Senior Project Manager
- Chief Engineer
- Chief Talent Officer
- Global Business Implementation Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Director of Global Service Delivery
Our award-winning Careers Service will help you to explore your options and make informed choices to achieve your career goals.
Work experience placements are a great way to develop relevant skills to excel in your chosen career.
Find out about paid and unpaid work experience options and other ways you can add to your degree.
Find out more about our tuition fees, including how to pay them and available discounts.
EU students starting at Newcastle in 2018 and 2019 will pay the UK (Home) tuition fee for the full duration of their course.
Our scholarships are available to outstanding students entering our full-time MBA programme in September 2018.
You don't need to apply separately for a scholarship. All selected candidates will be considered for scholarships during our admissions process, at the point of interview.
30 years of AMBA accreditation
To celebrate our 30 years of Association of MBAs accreditation (AMBA), in collaboration with AMBA, we will be awarding two full tuition fee MBA scholarships. Find out if you are eligible.
Women in Leadership
Awards of £11,000, payable towards the cost of tuition fees. We are committed to supporting innovative business women to become influential leaders. Through our Women in Leadership Scholarship, successful MBA candidates will receive mentoring support from our Business School Director, Professor Sharon Mavin, an international scholar in gender, leadership and organisation studies. Find out if you are eligible.
GREAT (India & China)
Newcastle University and the British Council are pleased to offer a partial scholarship awards of £10,800 for a successful MBA candidate from China, who is looking to significantly improve their career prospects. Find out if you are eligible.
MBA Leadership Scholarship
Awards of £10,000, payable towards the cost of tuition fees, will be awarded to high-achieving students who meet the eligibility criteria for the Leadership Scholarship.
MBA Business Excellence Scholarship
Awards of £6,000, payable towards the cost of tuition fees, will be awarded to high-achieving students who meet the eligibility criteria for the Business Excellence Scholarship.
A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent.
Exceptional applicants will be considered if you have more relevant work experience and are able to demonstrate significant career progression.
In your CV and personal statement you need to show at least three years of continuous work experience. You should have experience in a relevant role with some managerial responsibilities. This could include management of:
Find out the equivalent qualifications for your country.
Use the drop down above to find your country. If your country isn't listed please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT®)
You do not need to take the GMAT to study our MBA. However, we recognise it as a rigorous and challenging assessment of analytical, numerical and verbal reasoning skills. If you have taken GMAT then we will consider it alongside your other qualifications and experience.
How to report your official GMAT score
You can send us your GMAT score via the GMAT website
- Course code: 60X-0L-82
- Course name: Newcastle University - Newcastle University Business School - MBA, Full Time
English Language Requirements
Select an English language test from the list to view our English language entry requirements.
Please email us at email@example.com for further information.
Pre-sessional English Course RequirementsPre-sessional English Course Requirements
- 6 week Pre-sessional entry: IELTS 6.0 overall (with 6.0 in writing and a minimum of 5.5 in all other sub-skills)
- 10 week Pre-sessional entry: IELTS 6.0 overall (with 1 sub-skill at a minimum of 5.0 and 3 sub-skills at a minimum of 5.5, including writing)
You can study our Pre-sessional English course at the INTO Newcastle Centre.
How to Apply
You apply online, track your application and contact the admissions team via our applicant portal. Our step by step guide can help you on your way.
You will need to provide:
- academic transcripts
- your cv
- a personal statement
- English language test results (if applicable)
- two referees
The course code for the full-time MBA is: 5823F
All selected applicants will be interviewed for the course. At this stage in the application, you will also be considered for our MBA scholarships.
The course starts in September. There is no application closing date for this course.
We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.
If you live outside the UK/EU you must:
- pay a deposit of £1,500
- or submit an official letter of sponsorship
The deposit is payable after you receive an offer to study at Newcastle University. The deposit is non-refundable but is deducted from your tuition fees when you register.