Value of award
Discount varies by level of tuition fee.
Start date and duration
Varies by individual course start date and length of course.
Newcastle University is offering a 20% reduction in postgraduate tuition fees for all alumni who are self-funding or partially self-funding their postgraduate study and meet the eligibility criteria given below.
The University also offers a similar discount scheme for Newcastle alumni who are pursuing an undergraduate degree. Further information can be found on our undergraduate website.
1. Hold an offer and register on a degree-awarding postgraduate course at Newcastle University, eg:
- PhD or other doctoral level programme
- Master's course
- PG Diploma
- PG Certificate (including Primary, Secondary and Schools Direct PGCE courses)
The majority of courses qualify for the award, but please check the exception list below.
2. Be a graduate of Newcastle University. That is, you must have qualified (or be due to qualify) on a full undergraduate or postgraduate degree eg:
3. Be wholly or partially self-financing for the tuition fee element of your course.
What does wholly self-financing mean?
You are self-financing if you are paying all of your tuition fees yourself. This includes:
- support from a friend or relative
- if you are in receipt of a loan, eg the UK government's Postgraduate Master's Loan Scheme
What does partially self-financing mean?
It means that you are in receipt of partial funding towards your studies. This funding includes:
- scholarships (*)
- other tuition fee discounts (*)
- bursaries (*)
- any other contribution towards your study costs.
(*) Some exclusions apply. It is not always possible to combine the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount and other sources of partial funding. See ‘Funding that disqualifies you from the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount ‘ below for a list of non-eligible University schemes.
Students in receipt of such funding support will normally receive the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount on the balance of the tuition fee not covered by the funding support.
4. Meet other regulations pertaining to the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount. These are:
a. The 20% Alumni Tuition Fee Discount is available to students who commence a new programme of study at the University.
b. Awards cannot be made retrospectively and must be awarded during the admission process or the first year of study.
c. If the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount changes part way through your degree (eg a new percentage discount is introduced), you will remain on the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount applied at the start of your degree.
d. The Alumni Tuition Fee Discount is valid only when candidates register for studies during the academic year specified in their offer letter.
e. The Alumni Tuition Fee Discount will apply for all full years of study, whether your degree course is studied full or part time.
f. The 20% Alumni Tuition Fee Discount applies only to the net fee that a student would otherwise pay – that is, after any other scholarships or awards have been deducted. To illustrate this:
Alumnus A is to study a course where the normal fee is £10,000. Alumnus A is successful in winning a scholarship of £1,300. The net fee is therefore £8,700. The 20% discount is then applied. (20% of £8,700 = £1,740). Alumnus A is required to pay £8,700 - £1,740 = £6,960.
Alumnus B is to study a course where the normal fee is £10,000. Alumnus B is given a bursary of £1,500. The net fee is therefore £8,500. The 20% Alumni Tuition Fee Discount is then applied (20% of £8,500 = £1,700). Alumnus B is required to pay £8,500 - £1,700 = £6,800. Alumnus B chooses to pay their annual fees early, and therefore qualifies for a further 2% early payment discount. The 2% discount is then applied. (2% of £6,800 = £136). Alumnus B is required to pay £8,500 - £1,700 - £136 = £6,664.
Alumnus C is to study a course where the normal fee is £10,000. Alumnus C is given a tuition fee discount of £800. The net fee is therefore £9,200. The 20% Alumni Tuition Fee Discount is then applied. (20% of £9,200 = £1,840). Alumnus C is required to pay £9,200 - £1,840 = £7,360.
g. The 20% Alumni Tuition Fee Discount on tuition fees is not transferable. The University does not permit the 20% Alumni Tuition Fee Discount to be used for any other purpose.
h. It is the duty of the student to advise the University (on the Postgraduate Application Form) if s/he has applied for or has been obtained funding for his/her tuition fees. It is the duty of the student to inform the Postgraduate Admissions Service if s/he has obtained funding for his/her tuition fees after the Postgraduate Application Form has been submitted to the University. If a student is found to be in breach of this regulation, the University is entitled to immediately suspend any further discount and may seek to recover any or all amounts of previous payments made.
i. The University reserves the right to vary or withdraw the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount at its sole discretion.
Courses that are not eligible for the 20% Alumni Tuition Fee Discount
a. The Alumni Tuition Fee Discount is not applied to any course of study that does not lead to a degree. This includes pre-sessional programmes in English Language, English Language Foundation Programmes, occasional study programmes, exchange programmes, or any continuing professional development programme.
b. The discount does not apply to:
- Diploma or certificate courses that are below level 7, which are sub-degree courses
- Staff candidates
- Candidates who have registered on their course before 2012/13 have a 10% Alumni Tuition Fee Discount instead of 20%
- The following courses that are part of professional training programmes:
Previous study at Newcastle University that does not meet the requirements of the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount
a. Previous study on courses that do not carry formal degree status means that you are not eligible for the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount. This includes previous study on pre-sessional courses in English Language, English Language Foundation Programmes, occasional study courses, exchange courses, study abroad programmes, any certificate or diploma course or any continuing professional development course.
b. Any previous study on a postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma.
c. Also, if you transfer from one course to another as part of normal progression arrangements, you are not eligible for the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount on the second or subsequent course. For example:
- A student who transfers from BA History to BA Geography without completing the BA History course is not eligible for a discount on the BA Geography course.
- A student who commences on an MPhil and is then transferred to a PhD is not eligible for a discount for the PhD, as this is regarded as one research programme.
- A student who progresses from the BA in Architectural Studies to the Certificate in Architectural Practice and / or to the MArch is not eligible for the discount on the second/third courses as these are part of the normal progression arrangements for architectural studies.
Funding that disqualifies you from the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount
There are funding opportunities that are not applicable if you receive the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount. Check the regulations of these funding opportunities to ensure eligibility. For example, it is not possible to combine the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount with the following University funding schemes:
- Vice-Chancellor’s Excellence Scholarships
- Vice-Chancellor's International Scholarships
- International Family Discounts
- Newcastle University British Council GREAT Scholarships
- Newcastle University Overseas Research Scholarships
How to apply
You do not need to complete a separate application form for the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount. Instead, you must provide the following information on the University's Postgraduate Application Form. You must:
a. Detail your current/previous study at the University
b. Attach a copy of your previous qualification from the University if you have it available
c. Provide a statement on the form about how you propose to fund your study (see also condition 4h above)
d. You should also try and ensure that your postgraduate application is processed using your previous student number (you are asked to provide this number when your apply).
If you feel that you are eligible for the alumni discount but thus has not been included on your offer letter, please contact the Postgraduate Admissions Service.
If you have been denied an alumni discount but consider that you have good grounds for your case to be reconsidered, you should submit a written case to the Postgraduate Admissions Manager.
If you have any queries about your eligibility for the Alumni Tuition Fee Discount contact:
Postgraduate Admissions Service
Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 5503