CME8043 : Fuel Cells System 1
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Dr Mohamed Mamlouk
- Owning School: Engineering
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
To provides training in principles of fuel cells.
To provide training in the engineering of fuel cell systems.
To describe the various important fuel cell types, how they function and how they are designed.
To apply the basic principles of electrochemical engineering to describe fuel cells and systems.
To look at fuel cell and systems design from a commercial and sustainable perspective.
Outline Of Syllabus
1. Introduction to fuel cells and electrochemistry
2. Introduction to thermodynamics of fuel cells
3. Introduction to fuel cell reaction kinetics
4. Energy Losses in fuel cells, power, efficiency and fuel utilisation
5. Polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells. PEMFC
6. Other type of fuel cells (Alkaline fuel cells AFC, Phosphoric acid fuel cell PAFC, Molten Carbonate fuel cell MCFC)
7. Solid oxide fuel cell, SOFC
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||5||1:00||5:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||1||2:00||2:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||2||1:30||3:00||Tutorials|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||10:00||10:00||Assignment completion|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||1:30||1:30||Exam|
|Guided Independent Study||Directed research and reading||1||50:00||50:00||Directed research and reading|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||8||1:00||8:00||Tutorials|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||20:30||20:30||Review of lecture material, preparation for small group teaching|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
The materials are posted on blackboard to be read by students prior to the lecture. The materials are divided into discrete units. Lectures will be followed by tutorial sessions to aid students in their understanding of fuel cell systems and their design and operational characteristics.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Written Examination||90||1||A||60||Closed book examination|
|Prob solv exercises||1||M||40||Assignment|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
Methods of assessment will test basic understanding and knowledge of fuel cell systems via the end of semester exam. Coursework assignment will assess the students fuel cell design and operation understanding and their appreciation of fuel cells for a more sustainable energy future.