MCH8598 : Employer-based Project
- Offered for Year: 2020/21
- Module Leader(s): Professor Andrew Newman
- Owning School: Arts & Cultures
- Teaching Location: Mixed Location
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||40|
To provide an opportunity for a sustained research project on a topic that relates to a specific heritage- or museological-based problem or issue in the student’s working environment, i.e., heritage organisation, art gallery or museum.
Outline Of Syllabus
A topic for the project will be selected in consultation with the module leader. Tutorials will be held to discuss the research project topic and to get suggestions for preliminary reading and throughout the research and writing to discuss progress.
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||260:00||260:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Directed research and reading||1||100:00||100:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Dissertation/project related supervision||1||40:00||40:00||N/A|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
• Guided Independent Study: to facilitate intended knowledge outcomes, and to develop both cognitive and key skills (e.g., independent learning techniques, self-motivation, time-management) by providing a structured task for the student to complete independently
• Dissertation/project related supervision: Supervision provided on a 1:1 basis to support the assessment
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Written exercise||2||M||100||Report: to be handed in 18 months from the commencement of MCH8501|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The project is a demanding, sustained piece of work-based research and the most appropriate form of assessment is an extended report (between 8,000-10,000 words). This will adopt similar conventions to those seen in a dissertation, but will inevitably reflect the practical nature of the research project undertaken. The student must first complete a dissertation proposal form, which then provides the basis for discussions with the module leader.