NBS8052 : International Marketing
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Dr Lesley Pender
- Owning School: Newcastle University Business School
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
1. To develop an understanding of the theory and practice of International Marketing i.e. marketing to customers beyond a company's domestic market.
2. To apply this understanding of theory to practical challenges in International Marketing, developing strategies and tactics for successful international marketing.
The emphasis of the course is on strategic and tactical aspects of International Marketing rather than the technical issues of international trade.
Outline Of Syllabus
The decisions each company takes when considering whether or not to market abroad, including the following:
• Deciding whether or not to undertake international marketing
• Developing the company offering for international markets
• Selecting country markets
• Selecting an appropriate business model for entering selected international markets
• The formulation of international marketing strategy and plans
• Corporate responsibility in international marketing
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||26:00||26:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||8||2:00||16:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Directed research and reading||1||25:00||25:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||3||1:00||3:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||30:00||30:00||N/A|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Lectures provide a framework for student learning.
Reading is from a set reading list and may be supplemented by additional texts and articles recommended throughout the module.
Group work is designed to encourage students to learn and to develop international business strategy in a team.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Case study||2||M||Written Case Study (Group) Weekly x 3 weeks - Verbal feedback given|
|Prof skill assessmnt||2||M||Country Screening x 2 (Group) - Week 3 Group work informs individual student’s choice of country market for assessed marketing plan|
|Oral Presentation||2||M||Group Presentation - Week 3. Feedback provided by the Module Leader and the company|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The Assignment is a 2500 word report written on an individual basis. The students are to write and justify an International Marketing Plan for a UK-based company, based on current and real issues, presented in a live case study.
The company and its issues are introduced during lectures and seminars; The company may be at any stage of their international development and will have been selected on the basis that they want to market products or services internationally. Their interest may be in expanding into any type of market: emerging, developed, nearby or distant.
Students are expected to work in groups to research the markets and the company. They are expected to produce work, for example the screening of countries, to a standard that will be useable by and useful to the company. Research for the assignment will be conducted in small groups (approximately 4-5 students) and presented during the seminars. On the basis of this work the students will then write an individual report.