NBS8124 : Strategic Marketing
- Offered for Year: 2018/19
- Module Leader(s): Prof. Fred Lemke
- Owning School: Newcastle University Business School
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
To encourage students to develop a critical understanding of the strategic role of marketing within an organisation. There are some practical components when students interact with managers to experience the problems and issues facing businesses today.
The module encourages students to critically apply the theoretical frameworks to a ’real-life’ case study. It also assesses the importance of marketing in relation to other internal functions to facilitate business success and sustainability. The importance of both the internal and external customer to the organisation is studied and students will develop team work, consultancy and presentation skills.
Outline Of Syllabus
- Defining marketing, understanding marketing management and marketing planning
- Exploring the marketing environment and modern marketing research
- Segmenting markets and understanding consumer / customer buying behaviour
- Building strong brands
- Shaping marketing offerings
- Utilising marketing channels and exploring retailing
- Designing and integrating marketing communications
- Creating market offerings for global markets
- Mastering future marketing challenges in modern society
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||23:00||23:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||9||3:00||27:00||Case study teaching, students frequently work in small groups leading to interactive debates.|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||1||4:30||4:30||Teaching (on site of a company, if feasible), company visit, engaging in discussions with managers|
|Guided Independent Study||Directed research and reading||1||20:30||20:30||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||25:00||25:00||N/A|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Developing practical experience with the aim of encouraging students to apply the theoretical marketing perspective to a ‘real life’ business situation.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Report||1||M||50||Group case study written marketing plan report (2000 words)|
|Written exercise||1||M||50||Individual written exercise related to the case study (1500 words)|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The assessment allows students to demonstrate their ability to research and write their strategy for the case study company and to highlight issues the company may encounter when implementing the strategy.