NBS8518 : Small Business Marketing and Management
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Ms Wendy Parvin
- Owning School: Newcastle University Business School
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
To give students an understanding of the important factors influencing small business sustainability.
To understand the importance of effective marketing in enhancing small firm performance and how to devise marketing plans for small businesses.
To help develop an understanding of the entrepreneurial profile and the skills required to run a small business.
To critically examine theories associated with small business performance.
The module recognises the importance of the small business sector to developed and emerging economies, paying particular attention to marketing and management issues.
Outline Of Syllabus
The syllabus is grounded in the exploration of the small business and its operating environment. It enables the students to explore the theories and techniques of customer led design. As part of the syllabus students will create a business model canvas, as well as developing a marketing strategy that embraces up to date digital marketing techniques to maximise small business sustainability.
1. Contextualising the Small Business and their role in the UK economy
2. The Business Start-up Process & Introduction to the Customer Development Model
3. Generating and assessing ideas
4. The small business environment & the role of the entrepreneur
5. Creating a business model canvas
6. Creating a sustainable marketing plan
7. Developing a digital marketing strategy
8. Key issues affecting a small business: leadership & management
9. Managing finance and financial planning in a small business
10.Internationalisation and the small business
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||10||2:00||20:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||30:00||30:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Directed research and reading||1||25:00||25:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||25:00||25:00||N/A|
Jointly Taught With
|NBS8918||Small Business Marketing and Management|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
The lectures are taught through a combination of formal lectures, supported by class discussion, case studies and guest speakers. Students are required to assess ideas and new business formation and expected to partake in class discussion and activities. This will be linked to the assessed work giving students an opportunity to produce a marketing plan for a small business
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Case study||2||M||80||Group work. Construct a marketing plan for a small business - 3000 words (will include an element of peer review)|
|Reflective log||2||M||20||Individual reflection based upon students' learning of marketing planning activity through the module - 1000 words|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
Constructing a marketing plan allows students to apply their understanding of the subject and gain practical experience in designing a marketing plan.