NBS8527 : Marketing Ethics, Critical Consumption, and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Dr Mona Nassar
- Owning School: Newcastle University Business School
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
1. To develop an understanding of ethical, social and sustainability concerns in relation to marketing and consumption.
2. To evaluate and critically assess the role of ethics in consumer culture, considering issues associated with consumer empowerment, vulnerabilities and well-being, through the use of selected cases and problems.
3. To enhance students’ skills to critically assess an organisation's marketing activities, and to address issues at the interface between ethical marketing and actual marketing practice through using relevant theories.
4. To enhance students’ transferable skills of critical thinking, problem solving and commercial acumen
Outline Of Syllabus
Marketing criticism and ethical challenges
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
Social and cause-related marketing
Responding to ethical consumers
Socio-cultural criticisms of marketing
Consumer vulnerabilities and problematic consumption
Marketing of harmful products and medical marketing
Ethics in new media
Case studies in ethics and marketing
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||21:00||21:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||9||2:00||18:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||1||1:00||1:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||60:00||60:00||N/A|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Formal lectures provide a framework for introducing the theory and empirical evidence relating to the ethics of marketing, corporate social responsibility (CSR), ethical and critical consumption, social and cause-related marketing, consumer vulnerabilities and problematic consumption. Lectures will be supplemented by tutorials dealing with specific cases. Formative assessment will be provided.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Essay||1||M||100||Individual assignment 2000 words|
|Written exercise||1||M||Provide outline for the summative assessment with a justification for the company they chose.|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
Due to the nature of the module and the learning outcomes, individual assignment will be used to examine students’ abilities to apply theories and conceptual frameworks in order to reflect on current case studies and ethical dilemmas. Students will also need to provide recommendations based on their case study analysis.