Data Protection

Data Protection

Information about the data we collect from you during the registration process, how we store it, and what we use it for.

Your student details

The University needs to keep certain information about its students, some for statistical purposes and some to make sure your student documents - such as transcripts and degree parchments - are correct.

Information about you is held and used by us in accordance with the Data Protection Act and the University's data collection notice.

As part of the terms and conditions of being a student, you must update your details as soon as they change. Each academic year, you should check that the details we have about you are correct. Instructions on how to do this can be found on our Student Progress website.

Disability, ethnicity and marital status

Options available for these fields on S3P are determined by a government statistical agency called the Higher Education Statistics Agency. We encourage you to provide all of this information, but you can refuse. There is an 'information refused' option in S3P.

Contact details

You should provide us with the following contact details (in full, including postcodes):

  • personal email
  • mobile number
  • home address
  • term address
  • next of kin

It is very important that the University has your up-to-date and accurate contact details. If there is an emergency, the University must be able to contact you or your family.

Use the Student Details screen to keep this information up-to-date throughout your studies. If you move house during the year notify the University by updating your details in S3P.

First name(s), last name and date of birth

This information must be correct and match your identification documents - you cannot change it online.

If this information is not correct, you can submit amendments to these fields in S3P. Changes are recorded but not reflected in the system straight away. You will be advised (by a notice on the Status screen and by email) that the changes you have requested have been sent to your school or graduate school.

Your First Name and Last Name must match your official name. Your official name is the name in your passport or other government documents. This name will appear on:

  • pass lists
  • degree parchments
  • official University documents

It is important that the University is able to confirm who you are. We may need to ask to see your passport or other official documents before we make the changes.

Known as

If in addition to your official name you have a nickname or an English name, fill in the 'Known As' field in S3P.