Lecturer in Fine Art
My work exists in the interactions, opacities and crossovers between literature/fiction, film, painting (in its widest sense) and collaboration. I am interested in the unfettered movement writing can allow between and beyond traditional canons, specialisms, disciplines and individual practices. Most recently a great deal of my work has been concerned, often obliquely, with the ecstatic, with rapture and more formally, with a kind of Ekphrasis i.e. artworks that describe or contain artworks.
In an ongoing work, The Kink in the Arc, begun last year on a residency at M_HKA, Antwerp, many of these ways of working and thinking come together via the idea of the novel as a generous, limitless, reflexive space. The Kink in the Arc is essentially collaborative/collective, utilising the descriptions of artworks by some of the most interesting contemporary artists, writers, makers, curators etc. working today across all disciplines. These real and imaginary descriptions (a painting, a video, a sculpture, a performance etc. etc.) are then sited within the context of the novel to form the central part of its fictional environment.
Teaching is an integral part of my practice and an important part of what I see as my role as an educator is to facilitate students in feeling that artworks do not always need to exist in relation to traditional canons or that in order to 'function' artworks need to generate cogent meaning. I strongly support the notion that artwork in any form can contain, disseminate, propagate and generate opacity, garbled thinking, mystery, speculation, doubt, nunace, criticality, unfamiliarity and failure, alongside curiosity, in the maker as well as the viewer.
2016 Written Dancing, Basic Mountain, Edinburgh
2015 New Paintings, Drop City, Newcastle
2017 M_HKA, Antwerp
2016 Hospitalfield Arts, Arbroath, Scotland
2014 AIR Antwerpen Artists in Residence. Antwerp
Writer in Residence, Experimentica Live Art Festival Chapter, Cardiff
2011 Henry Moore Institute Research Fellowship, Leeds UK
2010 AIR Antwerpen Artists in Residence. Antwerp
2010 PEN Writers Residency, Antwerp
AWARDS AND RESEARCH GRANTS:
2017 Arts Council Grants for The Arts
2016 Arts Council Grants for the Arts: Drop City
Newcastle University School Strategic Research Fund Award
2015 Arts Council Grants for the Arts: Drop City
2014 NICAP Award: Drop City
Commissioned Text Book, don’t tell me what to do! With Beatriz Olabarrieta, Parallel Oaxaca, Mexico
Publication Futuristic Mist: Markus Kartstiess ISBN-13: 978-0860831044
2014 Publication Its Moving From I to It, FormContent, London ISBN 978-0-9559029-9-4
Video We Are Sculptors in Reverse (with Johannes Maier) Video. 10 mins
Video I’m A Man Of My Own Making, She Says (with Johannes Maier) Video. 8mins
Performance Mordern Tower Reading (with Heather Phillipson), Mordern Tower, Newcastle
Performance He Complained That Nothing Interested Him Anymore & She Said Perhaps We Could Try Reacting To Silence in a More Interesting Way (with Johannes Maier, Laure Provost, Ben Rivers & Christian Jankowski) Tête, Berlin
Essay: Leon Spilliaert, Turps Banana Magazine
Commissioned Text & Performance A New Path (with Alex Frost) Public art walking tour of Glasgow Gorbals
Performance Pool curated by Will Holder for Garden Marathon, Serpentine Gallery. London
Publication False Testimony: Collected Writings. Published by Lenz Books. ISBN 13: 9780956476036
2017 We Were Having an Argument About Kenneth Koch’s ‘One Train May Hide Another’ (with Toby Christian, Rose O’Gallivan & Mily Thompson) curated by Paul Becker, Nadia Hebson & George Vasey. Kingsgate Project Space, London
2016 Choreography, ARCADE, London (with Nadia Hebson, Francesco Pedraglio, Eleanor Wright, Daniela Cascella, Jennifer Hodgson, Natasha Soobramanien, Chris Fite-Wassilak, Sophie Macpherson)
2012 Apropos the Kissing of a Hand (with Holly Antrum, Becky Beasley, Billy Childish, Robert Ellis, Catrin Huber, Sophie Macpherson, Jeremy Millar, Arnaud Moinet, Francesco Pedraglio, Roman Signer, Sylvia Vögel). Vane, Newcastle
Festival Robert Walser Newcastle (various venues) Collective project involving: performance, music, workshops, readings, exhibition & publication.
2007 Mutineer. Kunsthalle M8, Berlin (with: Joel Croxon, Nadia Hebson, Paul Housley, Merlin James, Gary McDonald, Peter McDonald, Eddie Weldon & Lynette Yiadom-Boakye).
2016 Congregation 6:17 mins Written, produced & directed by Paul Becker & Johannes Maier
2014 LA DEBACLE 13mins. Written, produced & directed by Paul Becker & Francesco Pedraglio
We Are Sculptures in Reverse 8 mins. Written, produced & directed by Paul Becker & Johannes Maier
2013 I Am a Man of My Own Making, She Says. He Pauses. Now, Tie on the Rocket... 10mins. Written, produced & directed by Paul Becker & Johannes Maier
1997/99 Slade School of Fine Art, (M.F.A. Lond.)
1986/89 Kingston Polytechnic, (BA Hons.)
1984/86 Grimsby School of Art (Foundation
The Henry Moore Institute Archive of Sculptors' Papers in Leeds
I teach across all years and programmes in the department.
I am the primary PhD Supervisor for Cecilia Stenbom
- Becker P, Maier J. Congregation. Close-Up Cinema, London: Sharone Lifschitz (curator), 2017. Colour, Digital.
- Becker P, Bailey G, Barham A, Brownrigg J, Christian T, Denman-Cleaver T, Elkin K, Fite-Wassilak C, Hebson N, Hendry K, Larkin F, Maier J, Macpherson S, McCreadie A, McCreadie L, McStravick C, Pedraglio F, Perez-Cordova T, Phillips A, Power C, Reynolds A, Scott-Fullerton C, Soobramanien N, Stiefel A, Vanbesien R, Williams L. The Kink in the Arc. 2017. Antwerp, Belgium: M_HKA, 50+. In Press.
- Becker P. Choreography/Coreografia. Mexico City, Mexico: Juan de la Cosa, 2017.
- Becker P, Fabre LP. Choreography. 2017. Mexico City: Fundacion Jumex, 1 day.
- Becker P, Olabarrieta B. Book! Don't Tell Me What To Do!. 2017.
- Becker P, Phillips A. The Mean of Men. 2017. CIRCA Projects, 80.
- Becker P, Day J, Barham A, Hebson N, Anderson F, Elkin K. Artists Who Write: Strategies. 2017. Newcastle upon Tyne: The Northern Charter, 1 day.
- Hebson N, Becker P, Watson S, Wright E, Hobbypopmuseum The, Schwab K, Pedraglio F, Macpherson S. Drop City Centre. 2016. Newcastle upon Tyne: Laing Gallery, 3.
- Becker P. Written Dancing: Paintings. 2016. 1A Hill Street Edinburgh: Basic Mountain, 15.
- Broeg R, Pedraglio F, Macpherson S, Hebson N, Vanbesien R, Schwab K, Becker P, Watson S, Wright E, Karstiess M, Jendrieko C, HobbypopMUSEUM The. On going collaborative exhibition programme, Drop City, founded by Hebson, Watson, Becker and Wright, exhibitions and events taking place in Newcastle, Brussels, Dusseldorf and Vienna. 2016. various locations: various venues, N/A.
- Becker P, Watson S, Wright E. 'So'. 2015. Vienna, Austria: Mauve Gallery, 5.
- Becker P, Hebson N, Watson S, Wright E. So. 2015. Vienna, Austria: Mauve, 4.
- Becker P. New Paintings. 2015. South Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Drop City, 10.
- Bainbridge Eric, Becker Paul, Fowler Tilly, Fusco Maria, Hebson Nadia, Michael Sophie, Wilson Joshua. On The Cognition of Drones. In: Watson,Sam;Wright,Eleanor, ed. Soft Start. London & Newcastle: AND Public, 2015, pp.84.
- Bainbridge E, Becker P, Brög R, Konopek A, Pelkki S, Wilson J. Continuous Material. 2015. Durham, UK: Durham Castle, 1.
- Becker P. The Decorator & the Thief. 2015. Sunderland: Northern Gallery of Contemporary Art, 1. Submitted.
- Becker P, Karstiess M. In Armature. In: Futuristic Mist. Middlesbrough: MIMA, 2015, pp.60.
- Becker P, Pedraglio F. A Bad Hand, Folding: A Live Rehearsal. 2014. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Culture Lab, 1 day.
- Becker P, Pedraglio F. The Duels. Field Broadcast, 2014. Digital Video. Submitted.
- Aylett S, Becker P, Domke G, Jardine F. Vexed Muster. In: Domke,G, ed. Continue Without Losing Consciousness. Dundee, Scotland: Dundee Contemporary Arts, 2014, pp.80.
- Becker P. The Life of Anton Lesseman. An exploration and fabrication of an imaginary artist and the role of fiction in art making. The project involved production of original art works, artist’s archive (photography, unpublished autobiography, letters etc.) culminating in a publication by the HMI in Leeds. Leeds: The Henry Moore Institute, 2013.
- Pedraglio F. Frank!. 2013. London: Rowing Projects, 1 hour.
- Becker P. Floor/Ceiling/Window/Wall. 2013. Newcastle upon Tyne: Stephenson Works, 1 hour.
- Wilson Joshua. Paul Becker: 'FLOOR/CEILING/WINDOW/WALL' and 'In Camera'. this is tomorrow 2013, 1-1.
- Becker P. Scene 4: Dead Bee, Stung. London: FormContent, 2012. Available at: http://formcontent.org/its-moving/scene-4-dead-bee-stung/.
- Becker P, ed. The Object Lessons. Milan: Mousse, 2012.
- Becker Paul. Imaginary Artists. In: Future Curators. 2012, Leeds City Art Gallery.
- Auto Italia. Double Dip Concession. 2012. London: Institue of Contemporary Art, 52.54.
- Becker P. Scene 9: The Cat, Carpeted. London: FormContent, 2012. Available at: http://formcontent.org/its-moving/scene-9-cat-carpeted/.
- Becker Paul. Leon Spilliaert. Turps Banana 2011, (11).
- Becker P. If It Does Not Exist You Will Have To Invent It: Imaginary Artists and the Remediation of History. In: Repositioning Memory: Between the Archive and the Rubbish Heap. 2011, Exeter University.
- Becker Paul. ISTHISWHATBEINGAFELTFANFEELSLIKE?. FOXTROTECHOLIMATANGO 2010, (1), 160.