School of Arts and Cultures

Student Support

Student Support


Find information about Newcastle University's range of student support services.

The Student Services website contains comprehensive information concerning your life as a student at Newcastle University.

Our Student Wellbeing Service provides information, advice and support on a wide range of student support issues.

Our central websites have information about:

They also have information about university facilities, including:

Personal Tutors

Every student is assigned a personal tutor. Your tutor is your personal link with the University and is usually someone involved in the teaching of your degree programme.

Every so often you might want a friendly ear, or someone to help you with a difficult personal problem.

Your tutor can advise and support you in academic and non-academic matters. You can go to them at any time for advice and help, whether about choice of modules, finance or any other University matter.

They may help you directly or refer you to another relevant support service. You meet at the beginning of each semester, and regularly at other times.

International Students

Many of our undergraduate and postgraduate students are from overseas. Newcastle University as a whole has thousands of students from more than 100 countries.

We welcome international students and have a range of information designed to help you:

Contact our International Office for more information and advice about studying at Newcastle.

ICMuS Students

Being a musician is both physically and mentally demanding. If a performance-related condition interrupts a musician’s studies, the impact can be serious.

The Music Student Health Scheme provides access to healthcare quickly.  This is done by working in partnership with the British Association for Performing Arts Medicine (BAPAM), an independent charity which offers free health assessments. If you are subsequently told you need a short-term treatment that isn’t available promptly on the NHS, they may be able to help with a grant of up to £500 towards the costs.

Who we can help

If you’re a music student with a health problem, either physical or psychological, which threatens your studies and your ability to perform, they can help as long as you:

  • are British or have been a resident in the UK for the last 5 years and;
  • your course is degree level or equivalent and performance constitutes a minimum of 50% of the overall qualification

Many music colleges offer assistance to students suffering from performance-related health problems and we expect students to access any help available from their college before applying.

If you are a music student but don’t meet the criteria above, you can still receive a free assessment from BAPAM but will not be able to apply for funding towards treatment costs.

How it works

The process starts with a free assessment with a BAPAM clinician. If they feel that the short-term help you need isn’t available quickly from the NHS, they will recommend you apply to the Music Student Health Scheme.

Bear in mind they cannot help towards treatment costs for health problems not directly linked to performance, or which are pre-existing and need long-term treatment. We also can’t help with the cost of routine dental work.


This health scheme will not help with the costs of routine healthcare.

For more information, visit the 'Help Musician UK' website

T: 020 7239 9100