In response to the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, Newcastle University is not delivering any face-to-face CPD programmes before January 2021. If you are interested in studying any of our modules online, contact the CPD Unit for advice.
About the Course
A comprehensive coverage of the life cycle of overhead lines, from design to refurbishment.
The course will give you an understanding of all aspects related to the operation, inspection, maintenance, condition assessment and refurbishment of overhead power lines.
This course is also delivered on at least one of the Faculty's Masters programmes in the School of Engineering, and you will attend alongside full and part time registered students.
This course has already been delivered or dates are currently being arranged. Submit an Expression of Interest if you would like to be notified of future dates.
Objectives and Outline
You will have a good understanding of:
- why correct earthing is vital
- the constraints and practical factors affecting earthing design
- the design of earthing systems for substations and installations in LV, MV and HV supply and distribution networks and buildings
- the factors to be considered when earthing private and embedded generators
You will develop:
- a detailed knowledge of standards and regulations concerned with the design and operation of power overhead lines
- a comprehensive understanding of related topics such as covered conductors and overhead line protection
- an awareness of recent developments in live line working methods and possible future developments
- an appreciation of the impact of increasing environmental pressures
- Capital cost, choice of line voltage and routing of overhead lines.
- Statutory requirements of surveying and profiling.
- Traditional and probababilistic design standards.
- Design calculations, poles, cross-arms, foundations, weather loads, conductor sag and tension.
- Conductor charactistics and selection, wood pole overhead line construction.
- Refurbishment and upgrading of existing lines.
Academic Module Outline
This course is also delivered as a Module (code EEE8051) on at least one of the Faculty's Masters programmes, the majority of which can be studied part time, making them suitable for those in employment. You will attend with full and part time registered students. The Academic Module Outline is available via the University's Module Catalogue.
During the course, you will be able to access course materials electronically using the University Wifi. We suggest that you bring a laptop or tablet with PDF viewer if you wish to refer to the notes during the course. Please ensure that you make sure your electronic device is fully charged, as access to charging points may be limited within the lecture rooms.
Update to Course Content
Please note that our courses are reviewed regularly, both in response to feedback and so that information about recent research and developments can be included. Thus, content may be subject to change.
- Dr Simon Blake (Course Leader)
- B Wareing
- Overhead Lines
- £960 (duration 2 days)
We offer a 30 percent discount to full time students and to Newcastle University staff.
The course fee includes tuition, course materials, lunch and refreshments.
Formal assessment may be available for this Course. Assessment attracts an additional fee of £365, and delegates will be issued with a transcript and Certificate of Credit Achieved.