Dr Eugene Wong
Assistant Professor and Director of Operations
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +65 6908 6072
- Address: Newcastle University at Nanyang Polytechnic
172A Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8
#05-01 Newcastle University Office
SIT Building @ Nanyang Polytechnic
Dr Wong is an Assistant Professor with the School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering based in the University's Singapore Campus.
PhD (Mechanical Engineering), National University of Singapore (NUS)
BEng (Mechanical Engineering), Specialization: Materials Engineering in Design, National University of Singapore
2015: Singapore Armed Forces National Serviceman of the Year
2014: Institution of Engineers Singapore Outstanding Volunteer
2004-2007: NUS Graduate Research Scholarship
2006: NUS President Graduate Fellowship
Member of Institution of Engineers Singapore, Deputy Chairman of Materials Engineering Sub-Committee
Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Microwave processing of materials
Development of lightweight metallic composite materials
Computer simulation and modelling of microwave heating and mechanical structures
Development of additive manufacturing technologies for metal-based materials
Current Research Projects
Developing Magnesium-Rare Earth Materials for Energy Savings Applications
Singapore Ministry of Education Academic Research Fund (AcRF) Tier 2 in collaboration with National University of Singapore and Institute of Technical Education, May 2014.
In-Situ Healing of Damaged Composite Aero-Structures
Singapore Ministry of Education Translational R&D and Innovation Fund (MOE-TIF) in collaboration with Republic Polytechnic, May 2014.
MEC2102 Principles of Mechanics
MEC2103 Concurrent Design and Manufacture
MEC2104 Materials and Manufacturing
MEC2106 Engineering Professional, Legal and Financial Context
MEC2107 Thermal Systems Engineering
MEC3103 Product Design Engineering
MEC3106 Operations and Production Management
MEC3190 Manufacturing Engineering Project
- Teng X, Huo D, Shyha I, Chen W, Wong E. An experimental study on tool wear behaviour in micro milling of nano Mg/Ti metal matrix composites. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Teng X, Huo D, Chen W, Wong E, Zheng L, Shyha I. Finite element modelling on cutting mechanism of nano Mg/SiC metal matrix composites considering cutting edge radius. Journal of Manufacturing Processes 2018, 32, 116-126.
- Tan JH, Wong WLE, Dalgarno KW. An overview of powder granulometry on feedstock and part performance in the selective laser melting process. Additive Manufacturing 2017, 18, 228-255.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Enhancing the Tensile Response of Magnesium Through Simultaneous Addition of Aluminium and Alumina Nanoparticulates. In: TMS 2017. 2017, San Diego, CA, USA: Springer.
- Gupta M, Wong WLE. High Performance Magnesium Based Composites Containing Nano-Length Scale/Amorphous/Hollow Reinforcements. Materials Science Forum 2017, 879, 642-647.
- Teng X, Huo D, Wong WLE, Sankaranarayanan S, Gupta M. Machinability Investigation in Micro-milling of Mg Based MMCs with Nano-sized Particles. In: TMS 2017. 2017, San Diego, USA: Springer.
- Tan JH, Woon WK, Wong WLE. A Design Modification Approach to Utilize the Benefits of Metal Additive Manufacturing Adoption. Journal of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering 2016, 4(7), 53-58.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. An Insight into Magnesium Technology for Weight Critical Applications. In: Singapore Aerospace Technology & Engineering Conference 2016. 2016, Suntec Convention & Exhibition Center, Singapore.
- Nguyen QB, Quader I, Nai SML, Seetharaman S, Wong WLE, Almajid A, Gupta M. Enhancing Hardness, CTE and Compressive Response of Powder Metallurgy Magnesium Reinforced with Metastable Al90Y10 Powder Particles. Powder Metallurgy 2016, 59(3), 209-215.
- Tekumalla S, Yang C, Seetharaman S, Wong WLE, Goh CS, Shabadi R, Gupta M. Enhancing overall static/dynamic/damping/ignition response of magnesium through the addition of lower amounts (<2%) of yttrium. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 2016, 689, 350-358.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. High Performance Lightweight Magnesium Nanocomposites for Engineering and Biomedical Applications. NanoWorld Journal 2016, 2(4), 78-83.
- Tekumalla S, Seetharaman S, Nguyen QB, Wong WLE, Goh CS, Shabadi R, Gupta M. Influence of Cerium on the Deformation and Corrosion of Magnesium. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 2016, 138(3), 031011.
- Teng X, Huo D, Wong E, Meenashisundaram G, Guptab M. Micro-machinability of nanoparticle-reinforced Mg-based MMCs: An experimental investigation. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2016, 87(5), 2165–2178.
- Wong WLE, Joyce TJ, Goh KL. Resolving the viscoelasticity and anisotropy dependence of the mechanical properties of skin from a porcine model. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology 2016, 15(2), 433-446.
- Nguyen QB, Nai ML, Nguyen AS, Seetharaman S, Wong WLE, Gupta M. Synthesis and Properties of Light Weight Magnesium-Cenosphere Composite. Materials Science and Technology 2016, 32(9), 923-929.
- Gupta M, Wong WLE. An Introduction to Lightweight, Energy Saving, Environment Friendly Magnesium Based Nanocomposites: Materials of Upcoming Generation. Advanced Materials Research 2015, 1125, 3-7.
- Nguyen QB, Singh A, Seetharaman S, Wong WLE, Gupta M. Compressive Properties of Magnesium Composites Containing Metastable Al85Ti15 Powder. In: 10th International Conference on Magnesium Alloys and Their Applications. 2015, Jeju, Korea: The Korean Institute of Metals and Materials.
- Seetharaman S, Loy ZHL, Tekumalla S, Nguyen QB, Wong WLE, Goh CS, Gupta M. Development and characterization of new magnesium-yttrium-calcium alloys. In: 10th International Conference on Magnesium Alloys and Their Applications. 2015.
- Seetharaman S, Blawert C, Ng B, Wong WLE, Goh CS, Norbert H, Gupta M. Effect of erbium modification on the microstructure, mechanical and corrosion characteristics of binary Mg-Al alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 2015, 648, 759-770.
- Tekumalla S, Seetharaman S, Nguyen QB, Wong WLE, Goh CS, Gupta M. Enhancing Energy Absorption Capability of Magnesium under Tensile and Compressive Loading through Addition of Yttrium. In: 10th International Conference on Magnesium Alloys and Their Applications. 2015, Jeju, Korea.
- Tekumalla S, Seetharaman S, Nguyen QB, Wong WLE, Goh CS, Gupta M. Investigation on Microstructural and Mechanical Properties of Mg-0.4Ce/Y2O3 Nanocomposite. In: 10th International Conference on Magnesium Alloys and Their Applications. 2015, Jeju, Korea.
- Nguyen QB, Seetharaman S, Wong WLE, Gupta M. Magnesium-Al90Y10 Metastable Composites: Microstructure and Mechanical Properties. In: 10th International Conference on Magnesium Alloys and Their Applications. 2015, Jeju, Korea.
- Gupta M, Wong WLE. Magnesium-Based Nanocomposites: Lightweight Materials of the Future. Materials Characterization 2015, 105, 30-46.
- Nguyen QB, Nai SML, Seetharaman S, Jayalakshmi S, Wong WLE, Gupta M. Microstructure and Damping Characteristics of Mg and its Composites Containing Metastable Al85Ti15 Particles. Journal of Composite Materials 2015.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Using Microwave Energy to Synthesize Light Weight/Energy Saving Magnesium Based Materials: A Review. Technologies 2015, 3(1), 1-18.
- Gupta M, Wong WLE. An insight into processing and characteristics of magnesium based composites. In: Magnesium Technology Symposium. 2014, San Diego, USA: Springer.
- Nguyen QB, Chua YHD, Tun KS, Chan J, Kwok R, Wong WLE, Gupta M. Effect of Addition of Nano-Al2O3 and Copper Particulates and Heat Treatment on the Tensile Response of AZ61 Magnesium Alloy. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 2013, 135(3), 031004.
- Nguyen QB, Tun KS, Lim CYH, Wong WLE, Gupta M. Influence of Nano-Alumina and Sub-micron Copper on Mechanical Properties of Magnesium Alloy AZ31. Composites Part B: Engineering 2013, 55, 486-491.
- Thakur SK, Gupta M, Chau FS, Wong WLE, Srivatsan TS, ed. Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials XXII. Singapore, Southeast Asia: Reserach Publishing, 2013.
- Tun KS, Wong WLE, Nguyen QB, Gupta M. Tensile and Compressive Responses of Ceramic and Metallic Nanoparticle Reinforced Mg Composites. Materials 2013, 6(5), 1826-1839.
- Wong WLE, Tun KS, Gupta M. Microwave processing of magnesium based materials: A review. Kovove Materialy - Metallic Materials 2011, 49(3), 219-231.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Characteristics of Aluminium and Magnesium Based Nanocomposites Processed Using Hybrid Microwave Sintering. Journal of the Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy 2010, 44(1), 14-27.
- Nawathe S, Wong WLE, Gupta M. Using microwaves to synthesize pure aluminum and metastable Al/Cu nanocomposites with superior properties. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 2009, 209(10), 4890-4895.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Development of Mg/Cu Nanocomposites Using Microwave Assisted Rapid Sintering. Composites Science and Technology 2007, 67(7-8), 1541-1552.
- Zhong XL, Wong WLE, Gupta M. Enhancing strength and ductility of magnesium by integrating it with aluminum nanoparticles. Acta Materialia 2007, 55(18), 6338-6344.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Improving Overall Mechanical Performance of Magnesium Using Nano-Alumina reinforcement and Energy Efficient Microwave Assisted Processing Route. Advanced Engineering Materials 2007, 9(10), 902-909.
- Gupta M, Wong WLE. Microwaves and Metals. Singapore: Wiley-Blackwell, 2007.
- Gupta M, Hassan SF, Wong WLE. Development of Innovative Magnesium Based Composite Formulations Using Disintegrated Melt Deposition Methodology. In: Solidification Processing of Metal Matrix Composites: Rohatgi Honorary Symposium. 2006, John Wiley & Sons.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Effect of hybrid length scales (micro + nano) of SiC reinforcement on the properties of magnesium. In: Solid State Phenomena: Science and Technology Hybrid Materials. 2006, Singapore: Scitec Publications Ltd.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M, Lim CYH. Enhancing the mechanical properties of pure aluminum using hybrid reinforcement methodology. Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing 2006, 423(1-2), 148-152.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Simultaneously Improving Strength and Ductility of Magnesium using Nano-size SiC Particulates and Microwaves. Advanced Engineering Materials 2006, 8(8), 735-740.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M, Lim CYH. Synthesis and characterization of hybrid aluminum composites reinforced with Ni particulates and interconnected Fe mesh. In: Solid State Phenomena: Science and Technology Hybrid Materials. 2006, Singapore: Scitec Publications Ltd.
- Wong WLE, Karthik S, Gupta M. Development of high performance Mg/Al2O3 in submicron length scale using microwave assisted rapid sintering. Materials Science and Technology 2005, 21(9), 1063-1070.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Development of High Performance Mg/SiC Composites Containing Nano-Size SiC Using Microwave Assisted Rapid Sintering. In: ASME 2005 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition. 2005, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Wong WLE, Karthik S, Gupta M. Development of Hybrid Mg/Al2O3 Composites With Improved Properties Using Microwave Assisted Rapid Sintering Route. Journal of Materials Science 2005, 40(13), 3395-3402.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Development of Metallic Materials Using Hybrid Microwave Assisted Rapid Sintering. In: ASME 2005 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition. 2005, Orlando, Florida, USA: ASME.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Development of Mg/Cu Nanocomposites Using Microwave Assisted Powder Metallurgy Technique. In: ASME 2005 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition. 2005, Orlando, Florida, USA: ASME.
- Gupta M, Wong WLE. Enhancing Overall Mechanical Performance of Metallic Materials using Two-directional Microwave Assisted Rapid Sintering. Scripta Materialia 2005, 52(6), 479-483.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Enhancing thermal stability, modulus and ductility of magnesium using molybdenum as reinforcement. Advanced Engineering Materials 2005, 7(4), 250-256.
- Wong WLE, Gupta M. Using hybrid reinforcement methodology to enhance overall mechanical performance of pure magnesium. Journal of Materials Science 2005, 40(11), 2875-2882.