The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is an extended research degree usually lasting three to four years full-time, four to five years combined candidature and six to seven years part time.
Type of Programme
Postgraduate research degree, face-to-face meetings and presentations.
Our team of academics are well established in the areas of Mechanical Engineering including Energy and Sustainability, Chemical Engineering including Process Safety and Risk Management, Electrical Power Engineering, and Marine Technology Engineering.
- 36 months full-time
- 60 months part-time
Minimum Entry Requirements
- First degree or equivalent with minimum second higher classification (2.1). Applicants with First degree or equivalent with minimum second lower (2.2) classification and relevant experience, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- English Language Entry Requirements : IELTS overall 6.5 or equivalent
Course Fees (subject to prevailing taxes)
- SGD90 non-refundable application fee
- SGD9,100 per year of study
The course is only available to Singaporeans and Permanent Residents of Singapore.
A PhD involves original research that should make a significant contribution to the knowledge of a specific subject. Your research will enable you to become an expert in your chosen topic.
You will develop your project with help from an academic supervisor or team of supervisors. This could be theoretical or involve working with an industrial partner to develop new products. It will depend on your subject and research interests.
To complete the PhD you will produce a substantial piece of work (80,000 – 100,000 words) in the form of a supervised thesis. It should show evidence of originality and be suitable for publication.
How to Apply
The application process:
- Prospective candidates are required to visit Newcastle Research & Innovation Institute (NewRIIS) for a Pre-application Counselling session.
(i) Kindly email the NewRIIS team for an appointment.
(ii) Please bring along the following original documents for verification when you visit NewRIIS
- national registration identification card (pink/blue)
- highest academic qualification
- updated CV
- Online application
(i) Before applying, please prepare the following documents/items
- correct programme code (please check with PG Programme Administrator/Coordinator, if you are unsure)
- scanned national registration card (pink/blue)
- scanned verified educational documents
- updated CV
- personal statement
- research proposal
(ii) Create account for online application
(iii) Apply online
- Payment of application fee of SGD90) non-refundable by cheque or bank transfer. All fees charged are subjected to prevailing taxes.
For more information or clarifications, please email the NewRIIS team at email@example.com.