Professor Brian Lunn
Strategic Teaching Fellow
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4534
- Address: School of Medical Education
The Medical School
Roles and Responsibilities
Chair:Professional Standards Review Committee
Examinations Sub Committee
Board of Medical Studies
Sub Deans Group
Senior Officers Group
Phase 1 Coordinating Committee
Phase 2 Coordinating Committee
Medical Schools Council Assessment Alliance
GMC Clinical and Professional Skills Assessment Sub Group
External examiner Dundee University MB BS
MB ChB; FRCPsych
Course Director Stage 3 and 5 Mental Health Rotations
Chair RCPsych OSCE Panel
Chair RCPsych CASC Panel
Associate Dean for Examinations RCPsych
Member Academy of Medical Royal Colleges Assessment Group
Clinical Director for Medical Education (Undergraduate) Northumberland Tyne & Wear NHS Foundation Trust
Subject Advisor Higher Education Academy
Hong Kong University MB BS
Sri Lankan MD Psychiatry
Hong Kong FPsych
Birmingham University BMedSc in Psychiatry
Leeds University MBBS
Cardiff University MSc in Psychiatry
The Neurobiology of Cognition
Research work to date has involved using neuro-endocrine probes to examine their effects on subjects cognition.
The Neuropsychiatric Consequences of Diving
Current research into the neuropsychiatric consequencies is rudimentary with a few notable exceptions. This, at least in part, can be attributed to an unwillingness to fund and/or support appropriate research by governmental agencies and the diving industry. Another reason is the dearth of researchers with an appropriate background in the neurosciences working in the field. My diving related pages are intended to highlight some of the good research that has been done and will make available some of my own preliminary data. Currently I am building up a database on a cohort of divers with neuropsychiatric problems as a result of decompression injury (DCI). Preliminary data points toward there being patterns of cognitive impairement and psychiatric symptomatology consistent with a dysexecutive syndrome.
The use and utility of assessment in clinical and pre-clinical medicine. This includes undergraduate and postgraduate courses and assessments.
College Tutor 1998-2002, South Tyneside
Educational Supervisor in Northern Deanery, School of Psychiatry
Clinical Director for Medical Education (Undergraduate) NTW NHS Foundation Trust until May 2017
Development of teaching resources for psychiatry within the School of Medical Sciences Education Development (see: http://mbbs-psychiatry.ncl.ac.uk/ http://www.vimeo.com/user1710824 http://www.youtube.com/user/psychiatryteacher)
Member of several HEA groups working on Open Educational Resources
Contributor to and Member of JISC Reusable Learning Objects Project
I maintain the Psychiatry `Teaching Resource` website , primarily aimed at Medical Students`needs but it has been used extensively by other groups within the university and outside including police, psychologists, nurses and dentists as well as others. I am Sub Dean for Assessment for the MBBS programme
I was involved in the development of the previous RCPsych OSCEs which I then ran for its duration. I then chaired the group designing and implementing the new MRCPsych CASC before, after its implementation, passed on its running as I took up the role of Associate Dean for Examinations, Royal College of Psychiatrists. My term in office ended in June 2012
- Porter RJ, Lunn BS, O'Brien JT. Effects of acute tryptophan depletion on cognitive function in Alzheimer's disease and in the healthy elderly. Psychological Medicine 2003, 33(1), 41-49.
- Porter RJ, Lunn BS, Walker LLM, Gray JM, Ballard CG, O'Brien JT. Cognitive deficit induced by acute tryptophan depletion in patients with Alzheimer's disease. American Journal of Psychiatry 2000, 157(4), 638-640.
- Ashton CH, Lunn B, Marsh VR, Young AH. Subchronic hydrocortisone treatment alters auditory evoked potentials in normal subjects. Psychopharmacology 2000, 152(1), 87-92.
- O'Brien J, Porter R, Lunn B, Walker L, Gray J, Ballard C. The role of serotonin and the effects of acute dietary depletion of tryptophan on cognitive and non-cognitive symptoms in Alzheimer's disease. In: 40th Annual Meeting of the Scandinavian Society for Psychopharmacology. 1999, Copenhagen, Denmark: Informa Healthcare.
- Porter RJ, McAllister-Williams RH, Lunn BS, Young AH. 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor function in humans is reduced by acute administration of hydrocortisone. Psychopharmacology 1998, 139(3), 243-250.
- Jones S, Bussey S, Barton R, Lunn B, Luke J, Myers A. Educational impact of a new summative assessment of clinical skills for final year medical students. In: Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME) Annual Scientific Meeting 2014. 2014, Brighton, UK.
- Bussey S, Jones S, Barton R, Lunn B, Luke J, Myers A. The Utility of a new clinical assessment of final year medical students – the patient perspective. In: Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) 2014. 2014, Milan, Italy.
- Hughes J, Lunn B, O’Brien JT. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and patient groups with specific treatment problems. In: Stamford C, ed. The SSRI’s: A Multidisciplinary Appraisal. Elsevier, 1999.
- Porter RJ, McAllister-Williams RH, Lunn BS, Young AH. 5-Hydroxytryptamine receptor function in man is impaired by cortisol. Psychopharmacology 1998, 139(3), 243-250.