Dr Hannah Hesselgreaves
Senior Research Associate
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 20 84544
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 20 85016
- Address: School of Medical Education
SME Research Unit
The Medical School
Ridley Building 1
I joined the School of Medical Education in September 2017, with 12 years of medical education research experience. Prior to this, I was Associate Director of the Centre for Medical Education Research at Durham University, and a Lecturer in Qualitative Methods for Health Research at the University of Glasgow. I was awarded by PhD in 2007 in Human Resource Management, and much of my work is informed by theoretical perspectives derived from organisational psychology. I have interests and experience in patient safety and patient outcomes informed by professional development. Specifically, my current research activities are focused on leadership behaviours, job quality, career orientations, employee well-being, and bereavement education within the clinical environment.
- Flowers P, Wu O, Lorimer K, Ahmed B, Hesselgreaves H, MacDonald J. The Clinical effectiveness of Individual behaviour change interventions to reduce risky sexual behaviour after a negative human immunodeficiency virus test in men who have sex with men: systematic and realistic reviews and intervention development. Health Technology Assessment 2017, 21(5).
- Scholarios D, Hesselgreaves H, Pratt R. Unpredictable working time, wellbeing and health in the police service. International Journal of Human Resource Management 2017, 28(16), 2275-2298.
- Tiffin PA, Mwandigha LM, Paton LW, Hesselgreaves H, McLachlan JC, Finn GM, Kasim AS. Predictive validity of the UKCAT for medical school undergraduate performance: a national prospective cohort study. BMC Medicine 2016, 14, 140.
- Illing J, McLachlan J, Hesselgreaves H, Crampton P, Tiffin P, Carter M, Corbett S, Sawdon M, Swamy M, Ikah D, Finn GM, Swan L, Page G, Husband A, Kehoe A. A realist synthesis of the evidence linking education and training to patient benefit. In: Australian & New Zealand Association for Health Professional Educators (ANZAHPE) conference. 2016, Perth, Australia: ANZAHPE.
- Carter M, Hesselgreaves H, Rothwell C, Crampton P, Burford B, McLachlan J, Illing J. Measuring professionalism as a multi-dimensional construct: Professionalism and Conscientiousness in Healthcare Professionals- study 2. Final report for the HCPC. 2015.
- Smyth RL, Peak M, Turner MA, Nunn AJ, Williamson PR, Young B, Arnott J, Bellis JR, Bird KA, Bracken LE, Conroy EJ, Cresswell L, Duncan JC, Gallagher RM, Gargon E, Hesselgreaves H, Kirkham JJ, Mannix H, Smyth RMD, Thiesen S, Pirmohamed M. ADRIC: Adverse Drug Reactions In Children – a programme of research using mixed methods. Programme Grants for Applied Research 2014, 2(3).
- Hesselgreaves H, Scholarios D. Leader-member exchange and strain: a study of job demands and role status. Human Resource Management Journal 2014, 24(4), 459-478.
- Hesselgreaves H, Watson A, Crawford A, Lough M, Bowie P. Medication safety: Using incident data analysis and clinical focus groups to inform educational needs. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 19:1, 30-38. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 2013.
- Arnott J, Hesselgreaves H, Nunn AJ, Peak M, Pirmohamed M, Smyth RL, Turner MA, Young B. What can we learn from parents about enhancing participation in pharmacovigilance? Br J Clin Pharmacol. 75(4):1009-17. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2013.
- Hesselgreaves H, McLachlan J, Carter M, Rothwell C, Crampton P, Sawdon M, Illing J. A Review of Mortality Rates in County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust. 2013.
- Arnott J, Hesselgreaves H, Nunn AJ, Peak M, Pirmohamed M, Smyth RL, Turner MA, Young B. Enhancing Communication about Paediatric Medicines: Lessons from a Qualitative Study of Parents' Experiences of Their Child's Suspected Adverse Drug Reaction. PLoSONE 7(10): e46022. PLoSONE 2012.
- Blane DN, Hesselgreaves H, McLean G, Lough M, Watt GCM. Attitudes towards health inequalities amongst GP trainers and their ideas for training. Education for Primary Care, 24, 2. Education for Primary Care 2012.
- Hesselgreaves H, MacVicar R. Practice-based small group learning in GP speciality training. Education for Primary Care, 23:1. . Education for Primary Care 2012.
- Scholarios S, Hesselgreaves H, Pratt R. Shiftwork and Safety in the British Police Service: Final Report for Association of Chief of Police Officers (ACPO). Also requested by Home Office. 2012.
- Scholarios S, Hesselgreaves H, Pratt R. Shiftwork and Safety in the British Police Service: Final Report for National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA). 2012.
- Arnott J, Turner MA, Hesselgreaves H, Nunn AJ, Peak M, Pirmohamed M, Smyth RL, Young B. Parents’ experiences of adverse drug reactions in children: qualitative study. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 21(1):110-119. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 2011.
- Hesselgreaves H, Bunniss S, Bradley N. Enhancing patient safety through collective learning in secondary care teams within the NHS in Scotland Phase 2: Final Report to NHS Education for Scotland. 2011.
- Hesselgreaves H. Clinical Psychology Developing Practice Evaluation Summary Report 2010-11 for NHS Lothian. 2011.
- Hesselgreaves H. Scottish Coordinated Paediatric Education (SCOPE) Project: Evaluation Final Report for NHS Education for Scotland. 2011.
- Hesselgreaves H, Bunniss S, Bradley N. Enhancing patient safety through collective learning in secondary care teams within the NHS in Scotland Phase 1: Final Report to NHS Education for Scotland. 2010.
- Hesselgreaves H. Evaluation of Clinical Psychology Developing Practice Course for Clinical Nurse Specialists (Project 1) Final Report for NHS Lothian. 2010.
- Hesselgreaves H. Practice Based Small Group Learning in GP Specialty Training Final Report for NHS Education for Scotland Research and Development Fund. 2010.
- Hesselgreaves H. CPD Credits Pilot: Feedback from Scotland Final Report to NHS Education for Scotland. 2009.
- Hesselgreaves H. Creativity and innovation in General Practice. Final Report for NHS Education for Scotland. 2009.
- Bradley N, Power A, Hesselgreaves H, McMillan F, Bowie P. Safer pharmacy practice: a preliminary study of significant event analysis and peer feedback. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 17: 1-9, 283-291. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2009.
- Hesselgreaves H, Power A, Lough M, Findlay V. Which factors cause medication errors in the dispensary?. The Journal of the Association of Pharmacy Technicians 2009.
- Hesselgreaves H. MSF for Sessional Doctors: An assessment of the appropriateness of current questions on the tools developed for GPs in partnerships. Final Report to NHS Education for Scotland. 2009.
- Hesselgreaves H, Power A, Lough M. The perceptions of reception staff in general practice about the factors influencing specific medication errors. Education for Primary Care 2008.
- Hesselgreaves H. Findings from Focus Groups to Assess the Impact of the NES Pre-Registration Scheme: Executive Summary to Community Pharmacy Scotland. 2008.
- Carroll R, Hesselgreaves H, Balogh R. Carlisle Medical Group Patient Consultation on the Reorganisation and Relocation of General Practice Services. Final Report to the Carlisle Medical Group and Cumbria Primary Care Trust. 2008.
- Hesselgreaves H, Scholarios D, Bozionelos N. Stressors and stress management among youth support services employees. Selection and Development Review 21(4): 14-16. Selection and Development Review 2005.
- Illing J, Corbett S, Carter M, Kehoe A, Hesselgreaves H, Crampton P, Sawdon M, Swamy M, Medford W, Finn G, Tiffin P. How does the education and training of health and social care staff lead to patient benefit? A realist synthesis. Interim report for the Department of Health. 2017.
- Grieve E, Hesselgreaves H, Wu O, Chalkidou K, Ruiz F, Smith P, Li R, Morris L, Briggs A. The Value of Health Technology Assessment: a mixed methods framework [version 1; not peer reviewed]. F1000 Research 2017, 6(2171), 1-23.
- Illing J, Corbett S, Crampton P, Carter M, Tiffin P, Hesselgreaves H, Kehoe A, Sawdon M, Swamy M, IKAH D, Medford W, Page G, Finn G, Swan L, McLachlan J. Education Outcomes Framework: Developing indictors and the evidence base. Interim Report for the Department of Health. 2016.
- Illing J, McLachlan J, Hesselgreaves H, Crampton P, Tiffin P, Carter M, Corbett S, Sawdon M, Swamy M, IKAH D, Finn G, Swan L, Page G, Husband A, Kehoe A. The Education Outcomes Framework: Interim report for the Department of Health. 2015.
- Carter M, Burford B, Rothwell C, Morrow G, McLachlan J, Hesselgreaves H, Illing J. Measuring professionalism in paramedics (Oral presentation). In: Ottawa Medical Education Conference. 2014, Ottawa, Canada.