Dr Kenneth McKeegan
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5020
- Address: School of Medical Education
Newcastle upon Tyne
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5020
I graduated with a BSc (Hons) in Microbiology from the University of Glasgow in 1997. I continued my studies at the University of Manchester where I completed my PhD, also in Microbiology, in 2001. Between 2001 and 2005 I worked in a number of post-doctoral research posts and since 2005 I have worked for Newcastle University in the Faculty of Medical Sciences both as a researcher and teacher.
I was the Dean of Academic Affairs at NUMed from February 2014 to August 2017 where my main role was the academic governance of the NUMed MBBS programme. Since returning to the UK my main role has been leading on the implementation of Essentials of Medical Practice - the new Year 1 and 2 MBBS curriculum. I am also leading on the implementation of the MBBS academic mentor scheme, I am the School of Medical Education Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching (DELT), MBBS tutor for Intercalation and an external examiner for the MBBS programme at the University of Glasgow.
Year 1 and Stage 2 MBBS programme
- McKeegan KS, Lunn BL, Kennedy DJ, Jones SC. Shared Assessment Drives Institutional Learning. In: Ottawa 2016. 2016, Perth, Western Australia.
- Knox AA, McKeegan KS, Debieux CM, Traynor A, Richardson H, Watkins NJ. A weak C’ box renders U3 snoRNA levels dependent on hU3-55K binding. Molecular and Cellular Biology 2011, 31(12), 2404-2412.
- McKeegan KS, Debieux CM, Watkins NJ. Evidence that the AAA+ Proteins TIP48 and TIP49 Bridge Interactions between 15.5K and the Related NOP56 and NOP58 Proteins during Box C/D snoRNP Biogenesis. Molecular and Cellular Biology 2009, 29(18), 4971-4981.
- McKeegan KS, Debieux CM, Boulon S, Bertrand E, Watkins NJ. A dynamic scaffold of pre-snoRNP factors facilitates human box C/D snoRNP assembly. Molecular and Cellular Biology 2007, 27(19), 6782-6793.
- Federici L, Du D, Walas F, Matsumura H, Fernandez-Recio J, McKeegan KS, Borges-Walmsley MI, Luisi BF, Walmsley AR. The crystal structure of the outer membrane protein VceC from the bacterial pathogen Vibrio cholerae at 1.8 A resolution. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2005, 280, 15307-14.
- Borges-Walmsley MI, Du D, McKeegan KS, Sharples GJ, Walmsley AR. VceR regulates the vceCAB drug efflux pump operon of Vibrio cholerae by alternating between mutually exclusive conformations that bind either drugs or promoter DNA. Journal Of Molecular Biology 2005, 349, 387-400.
- McKeegan KS, Borges-Walmsley MI, Walmsley AR. Structural understanding of efflux-mediated drug resistance: potential routes to efflux inhibition. Current Opinion in Pharmacology 2004, 4, 276-86.
- Borges-Walmsley MI, McKeegan KS, Walmsley AR. Structure and function of efflux pumps that confer resistance to drugs. Biochemical Journal 2003, 376, 313-338.
- Borges-Walmsley MI, McKeegan KS, Walmsley AR. Structure and function of efflux pumps that confer resistance to drugs. Trends in Microbiology 2003, 11, 21-9. In Preparation.
- McKeegan KS, Borges-Walmsley MI, Walmsley AR. Microbial and viral drug resistance mechanisms. Trends in Microbiology 2002, 10, 8-14.