Lecturer in Medical Education
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3341
- Address: School of Medical Education
Cookson Building (Room MG.2.10)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I graduated with a BSc (Hons) Podiatry (First Class) awarded by the University of Sunderland in 2003, and went on to gain a PGCET postgraduate teaching qualification in 2007 and a MSc Advanced Practice in 2010 from the same institution. I am currently working towards a Doctorate in Education with the Open University.
I have worked at Newcastle University since February 2012. As a Podiatrist, I worked as an NHS Senior II Podiatrist at Cherwell Vale PCT in Oxfordshire, and subsequently a Band 6 Specialist Podiatrist at Gateshead Health PCT. In 2005, I left the NHS to take up the post of Lecturer and Podiatry Placement Co-ordinator at the Durham School of Podiatric Medicine within New College Durham.
I started working at Newcastle University in 2012 as Clinical Coordinator for the MBBS programme. This role was primarily focussed on developing improved relationships and coherence between practice teachers for the MBBS programme and Newcastle University. I worked with the Sub-Deans, Base Unit staff and clinical teachers to develop new strategies for engaging and retaining clinical teachers and implementing those strategies to encourage the development of a 'Regional Faculty of Educators'. I was also involved in the planning and delivery of staff development sessions for clinical teachers associated with the MBBS programme, including the biennial Clinical Teaching Forum.
My current role is that of Lecturer in Medical Education, and I contribute to the teaching of the postgraduate Certificate of Medical Education as a member of the core academic team.
Google scholar: Click here.
- Medical Education
- Workplace Learning
- Clinical Educators
I am currently finalising my doctoral thesis (for a Doctorate in Education), and aiming to submit in October 2018. My thesis is entitled 'A case study to explore the experiences of MBBS clinical teachers regarding identity and support'.
Academic lead for the postgraduate e-learning Certificate in Medical Education.
Teaching across all levels of the postgraduate Medical Education programme, with specific responsibilities as Module Leader for four Modules:
- Understanding Programmes of Learning (20 credit certificate - face to face delivery)
- Understanding Programmes of Learning (20 credit certificate - e-learning)
- Teaching and Learning in the Workplace (20 credit certificate - e-learning)
- Teaching and Learning in the Classroom (20 credit certificate - e-learning)
- Jandial S, Bussey S, Sandford T, Frearson R. Evaluation of a novel longitudinal clinical placement in the MBBS programme, Newcastle University. In: ASME Annual Scientific Meeting. 2018, Gateshead, UK. Submitted.
- Bussey S, Delgaty L. Use of ‘Adobe Connect' web-conferencing software as a synchronous classroom to support e-learning. In: Annual North East Regional Learning and Teaching Conference (Three Rivers: The North East Universities Consortium). 2018, Newcastle University, UK. Submitted.
- Bussey S, Hayes C. An introduction to evidence-based practice and research. In: Hayes,C;Barbaro-Brown,JA, ed. Textbook of Podiatric Medicine. Keswick, Cumbria: M&K Publishing, 2017, pp.608.
- Hayes C, Fulton J, Petrie K, Todd C, Livingstone A, Capper S, Bussey S, Rennie C. The artistry of becoming a scientist in podiatric medicine: transcending and re-connecting disciplinary boundaries in art and science. In: Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists Annual Conference. 2017, Liverpool. Submitted.
- Hayes C, Bussey S. Managing work/life balance in postgraduate academic study. In: Hayes,C;Fulton,J, ed. Studying Postgraduate Healthcare: A Pre-Reader. Keswick, Cumbria: M&K Publishing, 2015.
- Jones S, Bussey S, Barton R, Lunn B, Luke J, Myers A. Educational impact of a new summative assessment of clinical skills for final year medical students. In: Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME) Annual Scientific Meeting 2014. 2014, Brighton, UK.
- Bussey S, Jones S, Barton R, Lunn B, Luke J, Myers A. The Utility of a new clinical assessment of final year medical students – the patient perspective. In: Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) 2014. 2014, Milan, Italy.
- Hayes C, Bussey S. Podiatric Medicine Unravelled. British Journal of Healthcare Assistants 2011, 5(12), 596-599.
- Morrison SC, Bussey S, Avil S. Practice based placements in Podiatry. Podiatry Now 2011, 4(12), 24-25.
- Bussey S. Recognition of wounds and referral pathways. In: Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists Annual Conference and Exhibition. 2010, Bournemouth, England.