School of Modern Languages

Year Abroad

Year Abroad

All of our undergraduate students spend a year abroad. It's a unique and valuable experience, and one of the most attractive aspects of a degree in modern languages.

How it works

Living abroad will improve your language skills and improve your confidence. The experience will give you a much broader outlook on the world.

Download the Year Abroad Handbook 2016-2017 (PDF: 834KB) for students and their legal guardians.

Check out our Year Abroad multilingual magazine, Flying Solo.


The year abroad takes place in Stage 3. It usually equates to the third year of study on a four-year programme. 


Most students can choose to either spend their year abroad in one country, or divide it between countries. For students wishing to take either Chinese or Japanese in their final year, the whole year abroad must be spent in either China or Japan.


The way in which you spend your year abroad is up to you. You can:

  • work as a British Council teaching assistant in a school (UK nationals only)
  • study at a partner university
  • undertake a work-based placement
The year abroad is one of the most unique and attractive aspects of a Modern Languages degree.


You must carry out a risk assessment for each of your Year Abroad activities. This assessment will make you aware of the hazards, risks and precautions needed to ensure that your placement is safe. 

You will be covered by the University Travel Insurance for each of your Year Abroad activities.

In case of emergency

In case of emergency abroad, you must call Newcastle University 24-hour Emergency Number on +44 (0)191 208 6666.

As part of the University's travel insurance policy, you will also have access to 24-hour emergency assistance services. To access this, call Chubb Assistance on +44 (0)20 7173 7796, and / or e-mail them on