NISR funding call
NISR's Spring 2017-18 funding call is now closed
The NISR Spring 2017-18 Funding Call is now closed. Applicants will be notified of the results of the Management Board's decision in early May 2018.
We invite applications that address a single Social Renewal theme for up to £1000 per project.
We can also accept applications that address multiple themes and/or one or more of our three cross-thematic priorities. For these applications applicants are eligible to bid up to £5,000. We expect to only award between 2-3 exceptionally strong projects which make a convincing and compelling case for how they address multiple themes and/or one or more of the three cross-thematic priorities.
How to apply: Institute for Social Renewal Funding Call
- Your application must address either our three cross-thematic priorities as outlined in Thriving in Turbulent Times: Newcastle Institute for Social Renewal Priorities 2017-2018) and/or our Research Themes
- Your application must clearly explain how the planned activity will be relevant and meaningful to our Social Renewal research themes or our cross thematic priorities
- Be clear to explain how your application addresses the strategic objectives of the Institute for Social Renewal, outlined in NISR Priorities 2017-18: Thriving in Turbulent Times
- Ensure that you speak to your School/Centre/Institute finance and/or research colleagues who can advise on the budgetary aspects of your proposal.
- We encourage you to liaise with an Institute for Social Renewal Theme Champion regarding your application and also contact our Institute Administrators to discuss your application.
To apply, the project lead must be an academic at Newcastle University. External partners, RAs and PGRs are welcome to be named on the bid, providing the project lead is a Newcastle University academic. Within this specific call, unfortunately we are not able to provide funding for external partners.
Selection Criteria for Funding Call applications
- Applications must clearly support our strategic objectives and address one of our Social Renewal research themes or cross-thematic priorities
- Applications must explain to what extent the activity will involve relevant external regional, national or international stakeholders/community/organisations
- Applications must clearly explain how the project lead will measure the success of the activity and evidence its impact
- Have no obvious alternative source of support, or be the sort of project where support from NISR could be pump-priming for other financial help
- Must demonstrate viability, feasibility and value for money
- Applications must be in keeping with the Good Practice in Engaged Research document.
- Projects should plan to deliver all activity and commit all agreed expenditure within 12 months of the award date.
Further guidance for applicants
This is an open and responsive call to support high quality engaged research and engaged teaching activity which addresses the research themes and cross thematic priorities of the Institute for Social Renewal. The following types of activity will also be considered in this funding call:
- Follow-on funding for previous NISR projects in order to deliver high quality activity addressing the Institute for Social Renewal research themes
- Engaged teaching and innovative methods for learning which relate to the Institute for Social Renewal research themes and will enhance student understanding of social renewal
- Work with international NGOs in support of the Institute for Social Renewal research themes
ESRC IAA funding
Newcastle University's ESRC Impact Accelerator Account (IAA) is available for funding opportunities.
IAA NCL Spring Call 2018
The Spring 2018 call for applications to the following ESRC IAA funding schemes will open on Monday January 8th 2018:
- Newcastle ESRC Impact Accelerator Fund
- Co-Production Fund
- Knowledge Exchange Secondments Programme
- N.B. The Open Chair is closed
The deadlines are:
- Completed applications should be sent to your Director of Research by 17. 00 Friday 2nd Feb 2018
- Directors of Research should then forward the completed applications along with the ranking sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17.00 Friday 9th February, 2018
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome in mid-March 2018
Forms and guidelines
- Newcastle ESRC Impact Accelerator Fund Spring 2018 (Word)
- Co-Production Fund (Word)
- Guidelines (PDF)
- Knowledge Exchange Secondments Programme 2018 (Word)
Director of Research:
The ranking sheet now covers all of the Newcastle ESRC IAA schemes on one sheet for ease of school sign off.
You can see work that the Institute for Social Renewal has previously funded below.
We fund projects from across the university, and under all our themes. Get a snapshot by looking at our funded projects by year:
Find out more from our.