Student Financial Support



If you're aged 19 or over and receive National Health Service (NHS) treatment, you may have to pay for prescriptions and other health costs and services.

You'll have to pay the current rates for treatment unless you meet the NHS exemption criteria.

Prescription charges

You'll have to pay for each item on your prescription.

If you need more than three items in three months or 11 items in a year, you'll save money by buying a Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC).

Dental costs

NHS dentistry charges vary depending on the treatment you have:

  • Urgent dental treatment
    • emergency care, such as pain relief or a temporary filling, in a primary care dental practice
  • Band 1 course of treatment
    • examinations, diagnosis (including radiographs), advice on how to prevent future problems, scale and polish if clinically necessary, and preventative care (for example, applications of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant)
  • Band 2 course of treatment
    • everything listed in Band 1, plus any further treatment, such as fillings, root canal work, or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth
  • Band 3 course of treatment
    • everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures, bridges, and other laboratory work

If you need dental treatment, you might be able to register with the University's Dental Hospital. If they’re recruiting patients, you could receive free dental treatment.

Help with health costs

You may be eligible to apply for help with the costs of:

  • NHS prescriptions
  • NHS dental treatment
  • sight tests, glasses and contact lenses
  • travel to receive NHS treatment
  • NHS wigs and fabric supports

If you’d like to apply for help, you’ll need to complete an HC1 form (NHS exemption application) (PDF: 218KB). If you can’t print the form, get one from the Student Advice Centre. They're also available at:

  • Jobcentre Plus offices
  • most NHS hospitals
  • some doctors, dentists, or opticians

You can also get an HC1 form by calling 0300 123 0849.

You’ll be asked to supply information about your income and expenditure. You'll be assessed once you've submitted your HC1 form.

If you’re eligible for a full exemption, you’ll receive an HC2 certificate. If you’re eligible for a partial exemption, you’ll receive an HC3 certificate which will outline what you’ll need to pay towards your health care costs.