Student Progress

Student Visa

Student Route Visa

On 5th October 2020, Tier 4 closed to applicants. If you are coming to the UK to study a full-time programme for more than six months, or extending your stay to complete your studies, you will need now to apply for a Student Route visa. The Student Route is also open to applications from EEA and Swiss nationals who do not have Pre-settled or Settled status and who wish to study in the UK from 1st January 2021.

You will also need a Student Route or Tier 4 visa if you wish to do a work placement as part of your studies, or look for a part time job.

The Visa Support Team has advice on applying for the Student Route Visa inside and outside the UK. We can also support you with making your Student Route application in the UK, or Doctorate Extension Scheme application, if you meet current requirements.

If you currently hold a Student Route or Tier 4 visa, you need to be aware that there are conditions attached to the visa that you must meet. See Your Responsibilities for more information.

We have guidance for specific students, including students studying at INTO Newcastle and undergraduate students, with advice on work placements for undergraduate students on a Student Route or Tier 4 visa.

We also offer guidance to Postgraduate Taught and Postgraduate Research students, including advice on the Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES).

You can find advice on what will happen to your student visa if you need to change your circumstances, such as transferring to a different course, re-sitting exams or adding a work placement to your degree.

group of students talking