Student Progress

Postgraduate Research Students

Postgraduate Research Students

Guidance for PGR Students

Postgraduate research programmes have a very different structure to Taught Masters courses, so Tier 4 and Student rules can differ.

Most PGR students will receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to apply for a visa to cover their period of candidature, plus any writing up (pending submission period). This is usually enough time for students to complete their programme of study, but occasionally, due to academic circumstances, it may be necessary to make a Student Route application either in the UK or in your home country.

The Visa Support Team can help you with your Student Route application in the UK. See Applying for the Student Route Visa for details.

The University has policy and guidance as to when further sponsorship will be offered in these circumstances and when discretion can be applied. The University policy governing the immigration sponsorship, and registration, of non-EEA students sets out the circumstances applicable to sponsorship - see the Policy on Student Immigration Compliance.

For further help, see Guidance for PGR Students.

Click on a section below for specific advice for postgraduate research students.  

Graduate Route Visa

Postgraduate research students who successfully complete their studies can apply for the Graduate Route visa.

Please see the Graduate Route webpage for further details about this visa.