Student Welcome

Finance Information & Support

Finance Information and Support

Information about your tuition fees, and where to go for financial support.

Fees and Funding

The amount you pay depends on your level of study and whether you are classed as a home/EU or international student for fees purposes. A variety of funding sources are available to students at all levels, including loans, grants and scholarships.

Further information on tuition fees and funding can be found on the relevant degree programme pages for:


Early payment and alumni discounts (please see information for Undergraduate alumni discount and Postgraduate alumni discount) are available for any student paying part or all of their own tuition fees.

An International Family Discount is available for close relatives of current students and alumni who are classed as international for fees purposes.

Financial Support

If you are experiencing financial difficulties there may be ways in which the University can help. Information and guidance is available from our Student Finance Advisers.

Independent financial advice can be obtained free of charge from the Student Advice Centre in the Union building.

Our Student Services team also provides finance information on a range of topics including:

  • opening a bank account
  • funding schemes
  • TV Licensing
  • council tax

Bank Letters

Students who wish to open a UK bank account may need a letter of introduction from the University to give to the bank when they apply to open an account. Normally only International students will need this letter, if you are a UK student a certificate of registration which you can produce from the S3P student portal will normally be sufficient to prove your status as a student.

The letter will be addressed to the bank you wish to open the account with, you will be asked to provide the name of the bank on the online form. Further information on setting up a student bank account, accessing overseas money abroad and credit can be found here

Please ensure your term address in Newcastle is entered in full on S3P (including flat and/ or room number, street name and postcode) as the bank will insist this information is on your letter.   

If you require a bank letter, you can obtain this from the Student Services helpdesk on level 2 King’s Gate. A University campus map is available here.

If you are not able to call onto campus, please submit your request to