Student Complaints and Resolution Procedure


  • This is the University’s formal complaints procedure under the Student Charter by which students are able to make a formal complaint about a School, Service or member of staff within the University.
  • This procedure applies to all formal complaints, including those related to harassment and racial equality.


  • A complaint can be made on any aspect of University provision or support which a student feels may have fallen short of what might reasonably be expected; evidence in support of the allegation will be required.


The University operates a three-stage complaint procedure. Level 1 is the informal stage. Complainants are expected to have tried to resolve the issue / problem informally directly with the school / service / area concerned. If steps taken under Level 1 fail, or the complainant feels that their complaint has not been resolved, they can proceed to Level 2 by submission of a Complaints Form and supporting evidence.

Level 3 is the formal review. If a complainant remains unhappy with the Level 2 outcome they can request that the decision is reviewed. However, Level 3 requests can only be submitted on the basis of a procedural irregularity on the part of the Authorised Person, Complaints Officer, Complaint Adjudicator or Complaint Committee.


Complaint about another student of the University

If a student wishes to complain about another student at the University they should contact the Casework Team by emailing  The email should contain a full explanation as to the nature of the concern, with supporting evidence. Student Progress Service may invite you to a meeting as part of the investigation.

The allegation will normally be investigated under the University's Student  Disciplinary Procedure (PDF: 463KB)

Please Note:

Complaints made anonymously will not normally be investigated.  Exceptionally, however, an anonymous complaint may be considered when the University accepts that there is a compelling case supported by additional evidence.

All complaint investigations are carried out with complete transparency whilst being mindful of the Data Protection Act.


  • Student Progress Service can offer advice on the procedure and procedural issues only.  Assistance with submitting a formal complaint may be sought from the appropriate Officers of the Students’ Union, from the Student Advice Centre or from a Personal Tutor.