Outside Study

During your studies, if you decide to undertake any of the following activities, you will need to complete an ‘Application to Undertake Study Outside the University’:

  • Primary Research away from your approved campus of study (e.g.  fieldwork, data collection, study visit to library/archive/industrial unit)
  • Write-up your thesis or complete corrections from home.
This application must be approved by the Dean of Postgraduate Studies


  • You must submit an application for ‘outside study’ if you will be away from your approved campus of study for:
    •  4 weeks or more or,
    • for any duration if travelling to a high-risk location. 

Applications for high-risk locations may require additional approval from the Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellor;

  • The form must include exact locations and specific addresses (for both your accommodation and work locations);
  • Full details of the purpose and nature of the outside study must be provided;
  • You must give details of the facilities, resources, supervision and appropriate research training that you will have access to while you are away from the campus;
  • If undertaking primary research, you must have already obtained Project Approval and Ethical Approval for your research project;
  • If undertaking primary research, you must specifically have Ethical Approval for the research you will be undertaking during the period of outside study;
  • A ‘Risk Assessment Form’ must have been completed and included with the Outside Study form (see below)
  • Your supervisor must confirm that arrangements have been made for supervision during this period (and your Annual Progress Review, if appropriate), to meet the requirements of the Code of Practice for Research Degree Programmes (see Sections 28 and 74-83);

Further information for all students

  • You will be registered continuously for the duration of the outside study. Your registration will not be interrupted, and your thesis submission date will not be affected;
  • You will still be required to pay the appropriate standard tuition fee for the duration of the outside study;
  • You should follow the attendance monitoring procedures required by your School/Institute, for example, recording monthly supervisory meeting records in ePortfolio. This also applies if you are under ‘Pending Submission’ or ‘Extended Submission’;
  • You are advised to wait until your application has been approved before finalising your travel and accommodation arrangements.

All student must consult:

Additional information for international students holding visas

  • Tier 4 students under candidature who are undertaking primary research outside the UK, will normally be permitted to do this for 12 months without curtailment of the Tier 4 visa. This will be reported to the UKVI as a ‘Change of Study Location’ and will not impact on your Tier 4 visa status.
  • Tier 4 students who leave the UK to write-up in their home country or elsewhere, will normally have their Tier 4 visa curtailed.

Apply for Outside Study

Outside Study -  Application to Undertake Study Outside of the University (PDF: 768kb)

Risk Assessment Form (Generic)(PDF: 30kb) (please check with your School/Institute as they may have a School-specific form that you should complete)

Completed Outside Study and Travel Risk Assessment forms should be returned to the Research Student Support Team (RSST) or the Medical Sciences Graduate School (MSGS) who will forward them to Dean of Postgraduate Studies for consideration. 


RSST or MSGS will inform you of the outcome by email.