Students applying for undergraduate and postgraduate study in certain subject areas will need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before the can study in the UK. This can include both taught and research postgraduate courses, and predominantly in the science, engineering and medical subject areas.

When you receive an offer for your course of study, and if your course requires ATAS, this will be stated on your offer letter.

Who will require an ATAS certificate

All Non-EEA nationals with limited leave to remain, including but not limited to the following visa categories:

Tier 4 (General); PBS dependant; Tier 1; Tier 2; Tier 5; short term student; ancestry visa; discretionary leave; asylum seekers leave; spouse visa.

Courses requiring an ATAS certificate

To find out whether your course of study requires an ATAS certificate, you will first need to know the JACS code for that course. If you are a new student, this should be stated on your offer letter.

A full list of JACS codes which require an ATAS certificate can be found on the ATAS webpages.

How to apply for an ATAS certificate

You will need to make the ATAS application in good time before applying for your visa if you intend to study on a Tier 4 (General Visa); or prior to the start date of your course if you intend to study on a visa of a different category. Please note that an ATAS application can take up to 20 working days to be processed.

You can find more information on how to apply for an ATAS certificate here.

  • If you are a Tier 4 student, you will not receive a CAS from the University before providing your ATAS certificate.
  • If you are not on a Tier 4 visa but studying on a course which requires an ATAS certificate, then we will need to ensure that you have obtained the it before starting your course of study.

When you will need a new ATAS certificate

If you change your course or area of research, then you will need to obtain a new ATAS certificate.

For Tier 4 (General) students who applied for their leave on or after 6 November 2014 – if your course is subject to ATAS, you are required to apply for a new ATAS certificate within 28 calendar days if your course end date (as stated on your CAS) is postponed for a period of more than three calendar months, or if there are any changes to the course contents or the research proposal.

If you are intending to renew your Tier 4 General visa then you will need to obtain a new ATAS certificate.

ATAS for Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

If you are applying for a Tier 4 visa for the Doctorate Extension Scheme, then you do not need to apply for a new ATAS certificate.


Return to the Visa Team homepage