Do I need a visa to come to study in the UK?

European Economic Area (EEA) Nationals and Swiss Nationals

If you are a national of the European Economic Area or of Switzerland you do not require a visa or immigration permission to enter and remain in the UK while you are studying. Your passport or identity card will not be stamped when you enter the UK as there is no formal time limit on your stay.

How do I find out if I need to apply for a UK Entry Clearance Visa? Prospective students

This depends upon which country you hold a passport for. Immigration regulations require most non-EEA students to apply for entry clearance permission to enter the UK before departure. Use the UK Government web link below to check your status.

There are two types of entry into the UK for study and these are listed below;

Short-Term Study Visa

It may be possible to apply for this type of visa if you are coming to study any course of six months or less, or an English Language course of 11 months or less. Further information about this visa and how you can apply can be found in our Short term study visa page.

Tier 4 Student Visa

If you are coming to study a course of more than six months or a pre-sessional course, you would normally apply for a Tier 4 General Visa. The majority of students coming to study at the University will need to apply for this visa.

The main immigration route for students is called Tier 4. It is part of the immigration Points Based System. For more information relating to Tier 4 General student and Tier 4 eligibility and requirements, please refer to the UK Council for International Student Affairs web page.

Travelling to the UK for study

Before travelling to the UK please read our pre-arrival web pages for further information.

Return to the Visa Team homepage