Family and Friends

Introduction to university life

The transition to university life can be challenging for both students and parents. If your child is living independently for the first time you may be concerned about their wellbeing. There are steps you can take to help support your friend or family member at this time:

  • Prepare them for student life with basic skills such as budgeting and cooking
  • Encourage independence by directing them to the support available
  • Urge them to register with a GP
  • Stay in contact but let them settle into their new life too
  • Encourage them to become involved in campus life

Specific Support

The transition may be more difficult if your friend or family member has a specific learning difficulty, a disability or a long-term medical or mental health condition. We would urge you to speak to your friend or family member and encourage them to contact us.

When a student wants to access emotional support from the Student Wellbeing Service, we ask that they attend an assessment appointment with a member of the Counselling and Mental Health Team.

See our Information for Family and Friends and our Concerned about a Newcastle University student? page for more on how you may be able to help them, together with other sources of support.

Consultancy for parents, family and friends

Consultancy is an advice and signposting service, operated by qualified SWS professionals, for those who are concerned about the mental health of a Newcastle University student.

If you're a parent, family member or friend of a Newcastle University student, you have a serious concern about their mental health and wellbeing and you feel they’re unlikely to engage with the Student Wellbeing Service themselves, you can contact a member of the team for advice by telephoning +44 (0) 191 208 3333 or completing an online enquiry form.

Urgent or emergency situations

The Student Wellbeing Service is not an emergency service.

If a student is expressing thoughts of suicide, self-harm or risk-taking behaviour, and you have a high concern for their safety, advise them to contact their GP and arrange an appointment immediately.

If you think a student may be at immediate risk of harming themselves or someone else (ie threatening to take their own life or the life of another person), call the emergency services on 999. See our emergency and out of hours page for more details.