Information for Staff

About Us

The Student Health and Wellbeing Service provides information, advice and guidance on a wide range of student support issues, helping students to maximise their potential whilst at university. See the Student Wellbeing Service brochure (PDF:754KB) or our service flyer for more information.

The Student Health and Wellbeing Service is located in King’s Gate on level 2. The Helpdesk is managed by the Interaction Team and is open 09.00 – 17.00 on weekdays (except on Wednesdays when it opens at 10.00).

In an Emergency

The Student Health and Wellbeing Service is not an emergency service. 

If you think a student may be at immediate risk of harming themselves or someone else (ie threatening to take their own life or the life of another person), contact the emergency services immediately, either directly on 999 or through University Security on their emergency number + 44 (0) 191 208 6666.

See our emergency and out of hours contacts page and flow chart for more information.

Concerned about a Student

See our guide for responding to distressed students and see our page Concerned about a Newcastle University student? for information and advice on how to respond to a student who may be distressed or vulnerable.

If a student is expressing thoughts of suicide, self-harm or risk-taking behaviour, and you have a high concern for their safety, advise them to contact their GP and arrange an appointment immediately.

If a student appears to have more complex on-going needs, you have a serious concern about their wellbeing and you feel they’re unlikely to engage with the Student Wellbeing Service themselves, you can contact a member of the team for advice by telephoning +44 (0) 191 208 3333 or completing an online enquiry form.

Student Consent

  • If you have a student's consent you can discuss them with us by name.
  • If you do not have their consent you can talk to us without naming them, telling us some detail of the situation and your concerns.
  • You can talk to us about a named person without their consent if you are concerned that they are going to harm themselves or others.

If a Student Discloses a Disability, Specific Learning Difficulty, long-term Medical or Mental Health Condition

Once a student has disclosed, it is important to know what steps to take. The obvious first step is to encourage the student to contact the Student Wellbeing Service (SWS). Once a student has disclosed a disability the University has a responsibility to actively promote equality of opportunity for that student. We are, therefore, required to respond to any form of disclosure of disability, unless the student requests that this be treated in confidence.

Please read the following for further information: Disclosure – Guidance for Staff (PDF: 373KB)

Additional Services for Staff

For further information on the support and guidance offered please access the links below:

If you are unable to find the information you require on our website of if you have any specific requests please contact us.