Ddeafhard of hearing support

Support Available for D/deaf/Hard of Hearing Students

Disabled Student Allowance

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) is a non-means tested grant available to disabled students who are applying for, or are attending, a course of Higher Education. The allowance covers any additional study-related costs that students will incur because of a disability.

We would encourage you to contact your funding body to start your application for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) as soon as you can (UK students only). The Disability Advisers can help with this process and can assist you with any questions that you may have.

Support without Funding

Some support can be provided without applying for any additional funding. This includes:

  • the loan of small items of equipment, such as a recording device, a radio aid or headset from Hardware Loans Service
  • the loan of a vibrating fire-alarm pager, or a vibrating pad or flashing light for your accommodation
  • access to access to campus-based computers   with assistive technology assistive technology (including text-to-speech, mind-mapping software) Teaching rooms across campus with loop systems
  • alternative examination arrangements, such as extra time or modified language papers
  • access to campus-based computers with assistive technology
  • assistance in requesting copies of handouts or lecture presentations in advance from your School
  • extended library loan facilities, so that you can keep library books for longer
  • advice and guidance to both you and your School about the impact of your disability on various study tasks, and how to accommodate this
  • an SMS text service based within the Student Wellbeing Service

To obtain any of this support you will need to contact the Student Wellbeing Service. You should make an appointment to come and speak to one of the Disability Advisers.  You will also need to bring along a copy of your diagnosis of disability, usually your most recent audiogram. If you are unsure of what to provide, please contact a Student Wellbeing Adviser about this.

Support during your studies

Throughout your chosen course of study you will be able to contact or meet up with the Disability Advisers. They will assist you with your DSA application, follow up any recommendations and offer you ongoing advice.

If you are to have BSL interpreters, your Disability Adviser can help to arrange this with local interpreting agencies. If you wish to have note takers we can liaise with a support worker service to put this in place. We will also make any additional examination arrangements that may be appropriate.