Physical Impairment Support

Support for students with Physical Impairments

Disabled Student Allowance

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) is a non-means tested grant available to disabled students who are applying for, or are attending, a course of Higher Education. The allowance covers any additional study-related costs that students will incur because of a disability.

We would encourage you to contact your funding body to start your application for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) as soon as you can (UK students only). The Disability Advisers can help with this process and can assist you with any questions that you may have.

Students or applicants with mobility/physical impairments can have a wide range of support requirements. Some applicants are invited to an open day for their chosen subject area – this is often a good opportunity to arrange to meet up with one of the Student Wellbeing Advisers, to establish the support you require or access issues – or anything else that you need to know about.  Any subsequent questions that come to mind can be answered by telephone or email at any time.

Support without Funding

Students at Newcastle University with long term or temporary mobility or physical impairment can access a range of support subject to availability and suitability, without applying for any additional funding. These include:

  • the loan of small items of equipment, such as recording devices from Hardware Loans Service
  • access to campus-based computers with assistive technology (including text-to-speech, voice recognition, mind-mapping and magnification software)
  • modified examination arrangements, such as extra time or rest breaks, the use of an amanuensis or PC
  • assistance in requesting copies of handouts or lecture presentations in advance from your School
  • extended library loan facilities, so that you can keep library books for longer
  • advice and guidance to both you and your School about the impact of your disability on various study tasks, and how to accommodate this

To access support through Student Wellbeing Service you will also need to provide evidence/confirmation of your circumstances from your GP or other health professional, about the nature of your impairment/disability.  Every effort will be made to provide facilities and support appropriate to you.

If you need help with personal care please contact us.