Personal Support

If you need assistance with any aspects of daily living or personal care such as eating, shopping, cooking, toileting, or doing your laundry, you may need to re-assess your arrangements before you come to University.  This will be essential if this is currently provided by family or friends.

Assistance with daily living or medical or personal care would normally be provided by your home Social Services and is something that you will have to organise yourself. You should contact your Social Services office for advice, to discuss your personal care requirements with them directly and have arrangements in place before you start your course. If you qualify, you may be able to receive support using contracted care, or the Direct Payments scheme. Student Wellbeing can offer guidance and support throughout the application process to Social Services and advise on issues related to study support through Disabled Students’ Allowances. Further details can be found on DirectGov website.

Newcastle University and Disabled Student Allowance provides support that is study related and does not include personal care arrangements.

 For advice on accessing and organising support services in the Newcastle area, you may wish to contact Disability North.