Searching for funding

If you want to investigate the option of securing charitable funds the most difficult part will be locating organisations that you are eligible to apply to.  This can be a time-consuming task and you should be prepared to spend at least a few hours undertaking this task. 


The most obvious place to start your search for external funding is the internet. 

You could start by carrying out some free searches in search engines.  However, this will not produce a definitive list of organisations and you might find it useful to take a look at sites which include funding databases and lists.  The following websites might be a good starting point:

Funding Publications

Many organisations may not have an online presence so it is probably worth searching written funding directories such as the Grants Register, the Directory of Grant Making Trusts and the Educational Grants Directory which are updated annually. Most local libraries have copies of such publications and copies can also be found in the Robinson Library, level 2 quick reference section 378.3 GRA.

Local Trusts

As well as searching large funding directories it might be worth narrowing your search down and investigating whether there are local charities or trusts that you could be eligible to apply to.  You could use the local library to see if they have any local funding directories. You could narrow your search to look at the area where you are living, where you are studying or if you have an association with a particular area.

Newcastle City Library has some funding directories available in the reference section, available on Level 1, Directories and Yearbooks section:

The Guide to Grants for Individuals in Need (361.71)

The Guide to the Major Trusts Volumes 1&2 (361.7)

Charity Choice (361.7)

You might also find the Community Foundation website useful.

Departmental Advice

It might seem obvious but it may be worth asking your School Administrator/tutor/supervisor how other students have funded themselves in the past and if there are any subject specific bodies and professional organisations that the School has an affiliation with.