Support for students with dependants

If you are a full-time UK undergraduate student who has someone who is financially dependent on you, you could be eligible to receive additional non-repayable financial support.

Adult Dependants’ Grant

If you have an adult who is financially dependent on you, you could be eligible to receive Adult Dependants Grant (ADG) from Student Finance.  The amount of ADG payable will depend upon household income. The maximum ADG available in 2019-20 is £3,007.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA) is administered by Student Finance and is intended to help cover course-related costs. The amount of PLA payable depends on household income. The maximum PLA available in 2019-20 is £1,716.

Childcare Grant

Students who have children under 15 at the beginning of the academic year (or under 17 if they have special educational needs) and who use registered or approved childcare could be eligible to receive a Childcare Grant (CG) from Student Finance.  The amount of CG payable will depend on the level of household income. The maximum Childcare Grant available in 2019-20 is:

  • One child in childcare: 85% of actual cost up to a maximum cost of £169.31 per week.
  • Two children or more in childcare: 85% of actual cost up to a maximum cost of £290.27 per week

Newcastle University Student Parent Bursary

Full time UK undergraduate students could be eligible to apply for a Newcastle University Student Parent Bursary. The bursary will be payable to students who have a *household income of £35,000 or less.

  • Household income of £25,000 or less - £1,000 bursary
  • Household income of £25,001 to £35,000 - £500 bursary

*as assessed by Student Finance England (or equivalent).

You can complete an application form (PDF: 143KB) for the 2019/20 academic year.

The bursary will be paid in two instalments during term 1 and term 2.

Free Childcare and Education for 2 to 4 year olds

If you have a 3 or 4 year old child you may be entitled to 30 hours of free early education: some 2-year-olds may also be eligible. There are a number of different types of early education providers that can offer the free entitlement such as day nurseries, private nursery schools, preschools and playgroups and accredited childminders. Although there's no guarantee of getting a place with a particular provider, your Local Authority should take your preference into account wherever possible.  There’s no voucher or grant involved- just check with your local Family Information Service (FIS) that the provider is registered to offer the entitlement. 

Childcare Provision and Advice

More information about registered and approved childcare in Newcastle is available from Newcastle City Council's Families Information Service Further information about children's activities, general parenting tips, family health and schooling can be found in the Student Health and Wellbeing Service's Student Parents Section and may help students who have children plan for university and find the right balance.