Financial implications of withdrawing

Information about the procedure to follow for withdrawing from your course can be found on the Student Progress Service web pages along with a short questionnaire to complete about your withdrawal.

Student Loan & Grant

A withdrawal must be authorised by your DPD. Once agreed the Student Data Team (Student Progress Service) will inform the Student Loans Company (SLC) about the details of your withdrawal. Your entitlement to student finance will be reassessed based on the dates you attended University. You would not usually receive any further maintenance payments in the current academic year after the agreed date of your withdrawal.

If you were in receipt of the maintenance loan and/or grant you could be asked to repay some of your entitlement back immediately, depending on the date of your withdrawal. For example, withdrawing mid-term would mean you would need to repay approximately half of your first term maintenance payment.

It is important not to ignore any SLC correspondence you receive regarding overpaid loans and/or grants as your student finance entitlement could be affected in the future (see below). If you are concerned about having to repay any overpaid elements of Student Finance you may be able to negotiate this with the SLC.

Thinking of starting another course at university?

If you are thinking of starting another course at university you should note that any previous study you have undertaken can affect your entitlement to funding on your new course. The rules surrounding funding entitlement and previous study are complex and you should check your entitlement to funding before commencing a new course.

As a general rule entitlement to maintenance grant and tuition fee loan funding is calculated as the:

  • Normal length of your course plus one additional year minus any previous years (including part years) of study.

Usually maintenance loans are unaffected by previous years of study (unless you have already obtained an Honours degree). If you do not have enough funding entitlement to cover the duration of your new course you will usually be required to self-fund your tuition fees in earlier years of your course. Remaining funding entitlement will be applied to the last year of your course and worked backwards.

Tuition Fees

If you decide that you wish to withdraw from your programme of study at Newcastle, the amount of the tuition fees you will be liable to pay will depend on the term in which you withdraw.

If you withdraw during the first 2 weeks of term 1 (usually last week of September/first week of October) you will be charged 0% of the total academic year's fee.

If you withdraw after the first 2 weeks of term 1 you will be charged 25% of the total academic year’s fee.

If you withdraw during term 2 you will be charged 50% of the total academic year’s fee.

If you withdraw during term 3 you will be charged 100% of the total academic year’s fee.

Students with a tuition fee loan

If you have a tuition fee loan the University will notify the Student Loan Company that your liability for tuition fees has reduced and therefore the amount of your loan will be reduced by the Student Loans Company. No refunds will be made directly to you.

Council Tax

If you withdraw from your course you will no longer be classed as a full-time student and you will cease to be exempt from paying council tax. For help and advice you can contact the Student Advice Centre by telephoning 0191 239 3979 or emailing them.

Bank Accounts

If you have a student bank account with an interest free overdraft you may become liable to pay interest on any money that you owe. You should check the terms and conditions of your bank account.


If you have signed a tenancy agreement but you are thinking of moving out because you are withdrawing from university you will need to think about your liability for rent. If you are living in University accommodation you will usually be charged full rent for your room for the relevant termly billing period. You should speak to the University Accommodation Service for advice about this: www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/current/leaving.htm. If you live in private accommodation you should speak to your landlord. You can contact the Student Advice Centre by telephoning 0191 239 3979 if you need help understanding your tenancy agreement or dealing with your landlord.

TV Licence

If you are leaving your student accommodation and will not use your TV licence before it expires you can claim a refund for any unused quarter (three consecutive calendar months).