2018/19 Current Year Income Assessments (CYIA)

If your sponsors’ (usually your parents or partner) income drops by 15% or more you can request a Current Year Income Assessment. This means Student Finance England (SFE) take estimates of your sponsors’ 2018/19 income into account so you could get more maintenance funding. Estimates are finalised in April 2019.

Am I eligible?

If your household income has dropped by 15% since the 2016/17 tax year you can apply for a CYIA. A drop in household income could occur when a sponsor retires, is made redundant or goes part-time etc. If you think you’re eligible you need to be income assessed based on the 2016/17 tax year first. You can then ask for a CYIA so SFE can determine whether there’s been a drop in income.

How does it work?

Your sponsors fill in the 2018/19 Current Year Income Assessment form with what they expect to earn in the 2018/19 tax year. These figures will be estimates and you might get more maintenance funding.

From April 2019 SFE will write to your sponsors to ask for proof of their earnings for the 2018/19 tax year. If their evidence matches the estimated figures then the assessment will stay as it is.

If original estimates increase you should let SFE know as soon as you can. If your actual income is different from your estimates they may adjust the amount of your maintenance funding. If they’ve paid you too much they may ask you to pay it back. If they haven’t paid you enough they’ll top up your payments.

Is there a deadline?

You need to be income assessed by 31st May 2019 in the first instance. If you need to apply for a CYIA after April 2019 your sponsors can enter actual earnings for the 2018/19 tax year.

What happens to my 2018/19 application?

When you apply in 2019/20 and 2020/21 SFE will assess you on the figures used in 2018/19 unless you ask for another CYIA in the meantime.

Where can I get the forms?

Your sponsors need to use a PFF2 form to be income assessed in the first instance. They can then use a CYIA form to apply for a Current Year Income Assessment. Both forms are available on the website.