Student Finance

Many full-time UK undergraduate students finance their studies by applying for a maintenance (living cost) loan, maintenance grant and tuition fee loan through the Student Loans Company. The type and level of funding you are eligible to receive will depend on if you choose to provide information about your household income as well as when you started your course, where you live and study. When you reach the final year of your course you will also receive a lower rate of maintenance loan during this year.

If your course requires you to undertake a placement year you may receive a different funding package during this year. Those students who are eligible to apply for NHS funding will only receive a reduced rate non-income assessed maintenance loan during NHS funded years of their course.

You need to make a separate application for student finance for each year of your course.

If you already hold a higher education level qualification from either a UK or an overseas institution and you want to study for a qualification which is deemed to be equivalent to or lower than the qualification you already hold your entitlement to student finance will be affected by your previous study.

Change of circumstances

If you experience a change in your circumstances or things haven't worked out as expected you will need to think about how this might affect your finances. You should always notify your assessment authority if your circumstances change in any way as this could affect your eligibility to student finance.

Repayment & Interest

Maintenance loans and fee loans are repayable and start accruing interest from when the first instalments are released. Repayment terms and interest rates depend on the year you began your course and also which assessment authority you apply to for your student finance.