Getting Support

In the University

If you are in a University residence you must contact your hall warden or manager immediately if you suspect that you or a friend has meningococcal disease (meningitis/septicemia). They will contact the emergency services, if necessary. If they are unavailable or you live in private accommodation, contact the emergency services yourself, by dialling 999.

  • Student Wellbeing has qualified counsellors if you are worried about a friend who has been admitted to hospital with meningitis and you want to talk.
  • The Student Advice Centre provides a free and confidential professional advice and support service.
  • The University Chaplains are happy to talk to people of different religious groups.

Outside the University

  • If you are able to, visit or contact your doctor.
  • NHS Direct for non-emergency advice: 0845 4647
  • Any accident and emergency unit.
  • The Health Protection Agency provides advice and support about specific cases or incidents. If you have a specific query contact them on 0844 225 3550.
  • Meningitis Research Foundation call 0808 800 3344 (free phone 24-hour help line)
  • Meningitis Now - 0800 028 1828 (24-hour help line)