Professor Richard Dawson
Professor of Earth System Engineering
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6618
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ceser/
- Address: School of Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
I believe engineers have a crucial role to play in developing adaptation solutions to ensure our infrastructure and cities are resilient and sustainable in the face of intensifying global change.
I was a classically trained civil engineer but soon recognised that the codes and historical methods that have enabled so much in the past are not always suitable in this rapidly changing world because they often fail to consider the wider interactions between engineering systems and altering environmental and socio-economic conditions.
A remarkable feature of my work has therefore been the application of engineering principles to broad scale modelling and analysis - recognition that engineering systems have a much wider influence than their physical form and need to be considered within their broader environmental and social context. This engineering philosophy has become known as Earth Systems Engineering and I am currently Director of the Centre for Earth Systems Engineering Research (CESER) at Newcastle University.
My research interests, described in more detail in the 'Research' tab, are broad but with the common thread of Earth Systems Engineering. My work is necessarily a cross-disciplinary endeavour, involving collaboration with leading researchers, consultants and government agencies nationally and internationally. Through close working with endusers including placements at organisations, such as the Greater London Authority, I have disseminated and applied my work directly with stakeholders.
Prior to my current role I was lead researcher in the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research Cities Programme (that I now co-ordinate) and responsible for delivering the Urban Integrated Assessment Facility. Prior to this I was appointed as a researcher at Newcastle University in 2004, having previously worked at Bristol University where I co-developed the National Flood Risk Assessment methodology that was subsequently used in the Office of Science and Technology's Foresight: Future Flooding study.
Google scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
ORCID: Click here.
Roles and Responsibilities
Director for the Centre for Earth Systems Engineering Research
Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College
Associate Deputy Editor, Climatic Change
Cities & Coasts theme co-ordinator, Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research
CEGs Research Committee Member
Editorial board, ICE Journal Infrastructure Asset Management
MEng, Civil Engineering with French (University of Bristol)
PhD, Performance based management of flood defence systems (University of Bristol)
Research Associate (University of Bristol)
Institution of Civil Engineers
Honours and Awards
· EPSRC Research Fellowship (2010-2015)
· Robert Stephenson Award, Northeast Region of the Institution of Civil Engineers (2009)
· Robert Alfred Carr Prize, Institution of Civil Engineers (2004)
· Summer Research Fellow, Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science (2003)
· Student Paper Prize, International Association of Hydraulic Researchers (1999)
My main research interests are:
· Engineering urban areas for sustainability
· Climate impacts analysis
· Adaptation (particularly of civil infrastructure) to a changing climate
· Flood risk assessment
· Modelling of coupled human/natural/engineering systems
· Infrastructure management
The aim of my EPSRC Fellowship is to develop and demonstrate a city-scale understanding of the inter-relationships between global change, resource consumption, land use and infrastructure systems and subsequently use this understanding to design and adapt cities so that they require fewer resources, are more resilient to climate change and ultimately more sustainable.
In pursuit of supporting the specific application areas above, I have developed and gained experience in the application of more generic methods:
· Systems analysis
· Risk, uncertainty and decision-making analysis
· Social simulation: eg. urban landuse change and agent-based modelling
· Numerical modelling of physical phenomena (eg. hydrodynamic models)
· Decision-support tools
· Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College
· Submitted to UoA27 in RAE 2008
· Visiting researcher: Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Japan.
· Institution of Civil Engineers Robert Stephenson Award for contribution to the “Northeast Climate Change Adaptation Study” (2009)
· Institution of Civil Engineers Robert Alfred Carr Prize for “A methodology for national-scale flood risk assessment” (2004)
· International Association of Hydraulic Research Young Scientists Paper Prize for “Risk based approach to beach nourishment” (1999)
· Editorial board for Springer Future City book series.
· Editorial board for Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Civil Engineering
· Invited speaker at the UN IPCC Expert meeting on 'Human settlements and Infrastructure', March 2011
· Invited speaker at the World City Water Forum
· Speaker at the 13th Conference of the Parties of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
· Cited 5 times in the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report.
· Theme leader for GCP conference on 'Connecting Development Decisions at Urban and Regional levels to Global Issues', Mexico 2006.
· Invited reviewer for numerous academic journals (including: Risk Analysis; Water and the Environment; Global Environmental Change etc.), Research Council proposals and the United States North East Climate Impacts Assessment.
· Co-organiser with British Council of water and health climate impacts and media communication workshop (2007).
· Invited speaker at many national and international institutes including: The Met Office, The Environment Agency, Durban Municipal Authority (South Africa), Dutch National Climate Change Programme (Amsterdam), National Institute for Environmental Studies (Japan), Asian Institute for Technology (Thailand), International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (Austria) etc.
EPSRC(EP/H003630/1): Career Acceleration Fellowship - Resource implications of adaptation of infrastructure to global change. P-I: £818k.
EPSRC(EP/I035781/1): RESNET: Resilient Electricity Networks for Great Britain. Co-I: £1.4m (£415k at Newcastle).
EPSRC (EP/I005943/1): Resilient Futures: Resilient infrastructure from an engineering and social perspective. Co-I: £1,4m (£230k at Newcastle).
EPSRC(EP/G061254/1): ARCADIA: Adaptation and Resilience in Cities: Analysis and Decision making using Integrated Assessment. Co-I: £1.1m (£670k at Newcastle).
EPSRC (EP/G013403/1): Earth Systems Engineering: Sustainable systems engineering for adapting to global change. Co-I: £1,35m.
NERC: Public policy secondment to the Greater London Authority, PI: £2,000.
DEFRA (FD2601): Non-structural flood risk management. P-I: £115k.
Environment Agency (SC060063): Reliability in Flood Incident Management. Co-I: £42k at Newcastle.
In addition to the above research projects I have received funding for consultancy work.
I have worked with a number of government organisations, engineering consultancies and utilities, including: The Greater London Authority; Arup; Halcrow; HR Wallingford; Royal Haskoning; SustaiNE; the Environment Agency and Northumbrian Water.
My current research projects engages with stakeholders: including the Greater London Authority, Cabinet Office Civil Contingencies Secretariat, Infrastructure UK, Tees Valley Unlimited, Newcastle City Council, DEFRA, DECC, Transport for London Thames Water and the Environment Agency.
Flood Risk Management MSc
Hydrology and Climate Change MSc
- Dawson RJ, Thompson D, Johns D, Wood R, Darch G, Chapman L, Hughes PN, Watson GVR, Paulson K, Bell S, Gosling SN, Powrie W, Hall JW. A systems framework for national assessment of climate risks to infrastructure. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 2018, 376(2121), 20170298.
- Yang LE, Scheffran J, Susser D, Dawson R, Chen YD. Assessment of Flood Losses with Household Responses: Agent-Based Simulation in an Urban Catchment Area. Environmental Modeling and Assessment 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Guerreiro SB, Dawson RJ, Kilsby C, Lewis E, Ford A. Future heat-waves, droughts and floods in 571 European cities. Environmental Research Letters 2018, 13(3), 034009.
- Ford A, Dawson R, Blythe P, Barr S. Land-use transport models for climate change mitigation and adaptation planning. Journal of Transport and Land Use 2018, 11(1), 83-101.
- Urge-Vorsatz D, Rosenzweig C, Dawson RJ, Sanchez Rodriguez R, Bai X, Barau AS, Seto KC, Dhakal S. Locking in positive climate responses in cities. Nature Climate Change 2018, 8, 174-175.
- Palmero V, Walsh CL, Dawson RJ, Fichera A, Inturri G. Multi-sector mitigation strategies at the neighbourhood scale. Journal of Cleaner Production 2018, 187, 893-902.
- Bai X, Dawson RJ, Ürge-Vorsatz D, Delgado GC, Barau AS, Dhakal S, Dodman D, Leonardsen L, Masson-Delmotte V, Roberts DC, Schultz S. Six research priorities for cities and climate change. Nature 2018, 555, 23-25.
- Lenk S, Rybski D, Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Kropp JP. Costs of sea dikes – regressions and uncertainty estimates. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences 2017, 17(5), 765-779.
- Heidrich O, Hill GA, Neaimeh M, Huebner Y, Blythe PT, Dawson RJ. How do cities support electric vehicles and what difference does it make?. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2017, 123, 17-23.
- Villarroel Walker R, Beck MB, Hall JW, Dawson RJ, Heidrich O. Identifying key technology and policy strategies for sustainable cities: A case study of London. Environmental Development 2017, 21, 1-18.
- Pregnolato M, Ford A, Glenis V, Wilkinson S, Dawson R. Impact of climate change on disruption to urban transport networks from pluvial flooding. Journal of Infrastructure Systems 2017, 23(4), 04017015.
- Fu G, Wilkinson S, Dawson RJ, Fowler HJ, Kilsby C, Panteli M, Mancarella P. Integrated Approach to Assess the Resilience of Future Electricity Infrastructure Networks to Climate Hazards. IEEE Systems Journal 2017, (9), epub ahead of print.
- Guerreiro SB, Glenis V, Dawson RJ, Kilsby C. Pluvial flooding in European cities - A continental approach to urban flood modelling. Water 2017, 9(4), 296.
- Panteli M, Pickering C, Wilkinson S, Dawson R, Mancarella P. Power System Resilience to Extreme Weather: Fragility Modelling, Probabilistic Impact Assessment, and Adaptation Measures. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 2017, 32(5), 3747-3757.
- Caparros-Midwood D, Barr S, Dawson R. Spatial Optimization of Future Urban Development with Regards to Climate Risk and Sustainability Objectives. Risk Analysis 2017, 37(11), 2164-2181.
- Heidrich O, Pregnolato M, Dawson R. The costs of adaptation- a Life cycle costing framework to assess sea dikes. In: 7th International Conference on Flood Management (ICFM7). 2017, Leeds, UK.
- Pregnolato M, Ford A, Wilkinson SM, Dawson RJ. The impact of flooding on road transport: A depth-disruption function. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 2017, 55, 67-81.
- Fu G, Wilkinson S, Dawson R. A Spatial Network Model for Civil Infrastructure System Development. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2016, 31(9), 661-680.
- Walsh CL, Blenkinsop S, Fowler HJ, Burton A, Dawson RJ, Glenis V, Manning LJ, Jahanshahi G, Kilsby CG. Adaptation of water resource systems to an uncertain future. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 2016, 20, 1869-1884.
- Pregnolato M, Ford A, Robson C, Glenis V, Barr S, Dawson RJ. Assessing urban strategies for reducing the impacts of extreme weather on infrastructure networks. Royal Society Open Science 2016, 3(5), 160023.
- Brown S, Dawson R. Building network-level resilience to resource disruption from flooding: Case studies from the Shetland Islands and Hurricane Sandy. In: 3rd European Conference on Flood Risk Management (FLOODrisk 2016). 2016, Lyon, France: EDP Sciences.
- Rashid AA, Liang QH, Dawson RJ, Smith LS. Calibrating a High-Performance Hydrodynamic Model for Broad-Scale Flood Simulation: Application to Thames Estuary, London, UK. In: 12th International Conference on Hydroinformatics (HIC 2016). 2016, Incheon, Korea: Elsevier Science BV.
- Jonczyk J, Quinn P, Heidrich O, Dawson R, Birkinshaw S, James P, Harris N, Pearson D. Demonstration of a green-blue approach for a strategic management of urban runoff. In: AGU Fall Meeting. 2016, San Francisco, USA: American Geophysical Union (AGU).
- Pregnolato M, Ford A, Dawson R. Disruption and adaptation of urban transport networks from flooding. In: 3rd European Conference on Flood Risk Management (FLOODrisk 2016). 2016, Lyon: EDP Sciences.
- Sandberg N, Sartori I, Heidrich O, Dawson R, Dascalaki E, Dimitriou S, Vimmr T, Filippidou F, Stegnar G, Zavrl M, Brattebø H. Dynamic Building Stock Modelling: Application to 11 European countries to support the energy efficiency and retrofit ambitions of the EU. Energy and Buildings 2016, 132, 26-38.
- Heidrich O, Reckien D, Olazabal M, Foley A, Salvia M, de Gregorio Hurtado S, Orru H, Flacke J, Geneletti D, Pietrapertosa F, Hamann JP, Tiwary A, Feliu E, Dawson RJ. National climate policies across Europe and their impacts on cities strategies. Journal of Environmental Management 2016, 168, 36-45.
- O'Brien P, Dawson R, Pike P, Purnell P, Tomaney J. National Infrastructure Commission call for evidence: ‘Connecting northern cities’, evidence submitted by the iBUILD Infrastructure Research Centre. 2016.
- Hall JW, Dawson RJ, Wu XZ. Analysing Flood and Erosion Risks and Coastal Management Strategies on the Norfolk Coast. In: Broad Scale Coastal Simulation: New Techniques to Understand and Manage Shorelines in the Third Millennium. Springer Netherlands, 2015, pp.233-254.
- Pregnolato M, Ford A, Dawson R. Analysis Of The Risk of Transport Infrastructure Disruption From Extreme Rainfall. In: 12th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, ICASP12. 2015, Vancouver, B.C., Canada: University of British Columbia.
- Heidrich O, Villarroel-Walker R, Dawson R, Hall J, Beck MB. Assessing technology and innovation interventions in the metabolism of Greater London. In: International Society of Industrial Ecology-Taking Stock. 2015, Surrey, UK.
- Ford A, Pregnolato M, Jenkins K, Barr S, Dawson R. Assessing the need for infrastructure adaptation by simulating impacts of extreme weather events on urban transport infrastructure. In: GISRUK 2015. 2015, Leeds, UK.
- Pregnolato M, Ford A, Dawson RJ. Climate and change: simulating flooding impacts on urban transport network. In: EGU General Assembly 2015. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Copernicus.
- Sayers P, Walsh CL, Dawson RJ. Climate impacts on flood and coastal erosion infrastructure. Infrastructure Asset Management 2015, 2(2), 69-83.
- Mokrech M, Nicholls RJ, Day SA, Dawson RJ, Jude S, Koukoulas S. GIS Platforms for Managing, Accessing and Integrating Model Results: The Tyndall Coastal Simulator Experience. In: Broad Scale Coastal Simulation: New Techniques to Understand and Manage Shorelines in the Third Millennium. Springer Netherlands, 2015, pp.273-298.
- Dawson RJ. Handling Interdependencies in Climate Change Risk Assessment. Climate 2015, 3(4), 1079-1096.
- Panteli M, Mancarella P, Hu X, Cotton I, Calverley D, Wood R, Pickering C, Wilkinson S, Dawson R, Anderson K. Impact of climate change on the resilience of the UK power system. In: IET International Conference on Resilience of Transmission and Distribution Networks (RTDN) 2015. 2015, Birmingham, UK: Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Khoury M, Bullock S, Fu G, Dawson R. Improving measures of topological robustness in networks of networks and suggestion of a novel way to counter both failure propagation and isolation. Infrastructure Complexity 2015, 2, 1.
- Nicholls RJ, Dawson RJ, Day SA, Walker D, Mimura N, Nursey-Bray M, Nurse L, Rahman M, White KD, Zanuttigh B. International Opportunities for Broad Scale Coastal Simulation. In: Broad Scale Coastal Simulation: New Techniques to Understand and Manage Shorelines in the Third Millennium. Springer Netherlands, 2015, pp.325-347.
- Caparros-Midwood D, Barr S, Dawson R. Optimized spatial planning to meet long term urban sustainability objectives. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 2015, 54, 154-164.
- Nicholls RJ, Dawson RJ, Day SA. Preface. Broad Scale Coastal Simulation: New Techniques to Understand and Manage Shorelines in the Third Millennium 2015, vii-ix.
- Dawson RJ, Nicholls RJ, Day SA. The challenge for coastal management during the third millennium. In: Broad Scale Coastal Simulation: New Techniques to Understand and Manage Shorelines in the Third Millennium. Dordrecht: Springer Netherlands, 2015, pp.1-78.
- Ford A, Barr S, Dawson R, James P. Transport Accessibility Analysis Using GIS: Assessing Sustainable Transport in London. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information 2015, 4(1), 124-149.
- Heidrich O, Ford A, Alderson D, Dawson R, Manning D. UK climate change strategies in cities and the LAYERS of cobalt supplies. In: International Society of Industrial Ecology-Taking Stock. 2015, Surrey, UK.
- Dawson RJ, Walsh CL, Purnell P, Rogers CDF. Briefing: Infrastructure business models, valuation and innovation for local delivery. Infrastructure Asset Management 2014, 1(3), 66-67.
- Reckien D, Flacke J, Dawson RJ, Heidrich O, Olazabal M, Foley A, Hamann JJP, Orru H, Salvia M, De Gregorio Hurtado S, Genelett D, Pietrapertosa F. Climate change response in Europe: What's the reality? Analysis of adaptation and mitigation plans from 200 urban areas in 11 countries. Climatic Change 2014, 122(1-2), 331-340.
- Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Reckien D, Walsh CL. How prepared are UK cities for addressing climate change adaptation and mitigation?. Urbanization and Global Environmental Change Viewpoints 2014, 10, 17-21.
- Fu G, Dawson D, Khoury M, Bullock S. Interdependent networks: Vulnerability analysis and strategies to limit cascading failure. European Physical Journal B 2014, 87(7), 1-10.
- Ford A, Jenkins K, Dawson R, Pregnolato M, Barr S, Hall J. Simulating impacts of extreme weather events on urban transport infrastructure in the UK. In: ISNGI 2014. 2014, Vienna, Austria.
- Walker RV, Beck MB, Hall JW, Dawson RJ, Heidrich O. The energy-water-food nexus: Strategic analysis of technologies for transforming the urban metabolism. Journal of Environmental Management 2014, 141, 104-115.
- Dawson RJ, Wyckmans A, Heidrich O, Köhler J, Dobson S, Feliu E, ed. Understanding Cities: Advances in integrated assessment of urban sustainability. Newcastle, UK: Centre for Earth Systems Engineering Research (CESER), 2014.
- Heidrich O, Dawson R, Manning D. A framework for reporting sustainability in the mining industry. In: Minerals for Life: Overcoming Resource Constraints. 2013, Edinburgh: Mineralogical Society.
- Holderness T, Barr SL, Dawson R, Hall J. An evaluation of thermal Earth observation for characterizing urban heatwave event dynamics using the urban heat island intensity metric. International Journal of Remote Sensing 2013, 34(3), 864-884.
- Walsh CL, Dawson RJ, Ford AC, Barr SL, Hall JW, Batty M. Assessing flood risk in London under climate and land use change. In: International Conference on Flood Resilience Experiences in Asia and Europe. 2013, Exeter, UK.
- Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Reckien D, Walsh CL. Assessment of the climate preparedness of 30 urban areas in the UK. Climatic Change 2013, 120(4), 771-784.
- Walsh CL, Glendinning S, Dawson RJ, England K, Martin M, Watkins CL, Wilson R, Glenis V, McLoughlin A, Parker D. Collaborative platform to facilitate engineering decision-making. Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability 2013, 166(2), 98-107.
- Walsh CL, Glendinning S, Dawson RJ, England K, Martin M, Watkins CL, Wilson R, McLoughlin A, Glenis V, Parker D. Collaborative platform to facilitate engineering decision-making. Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability 2013, 166(2), 98-107.
- Walsh CL, Roberts D, Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Nickson A, Hounsome R. Experiences of integrated assessment of climate impacts, adaptation and mitigation modelling in London and Durban. Environment and Urbanization 2013, 25(2), 361-380.
- Dunn S, Fu G, Wilkinson S, Dawson R. Network Theory for Infrastructure Systems Modelling. Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability 2013, 166(5), 281-292.
- Walsh CL, Ford AC, Barr SL, Dawson RJ. A spatio-temporal modelling framework for the integrated assessment of cities. In: Earth Systems Engineering 2012: A technical symposium on systems engineering for sustainable adaptation to global change. 2012, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Centre for Earth Systems Engineering Research, Newcastle University.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S, Fu G, Dawson R. Analysis of Infrastructure Networks. In: Earth Systems Engineering 2012. 2012, Newcastle University: Centre for Earth Systems Engineering Research, Newcastle University.
- Dawson RJ, Walsh CL, Kilsby CG. Earth Systems Engineering 2012: A technical symposium on systems engineering for sustainable adaptation to global change. In: Earth Systems Engineering 2012: A technical symposium on systems engineering for sustainable adaptation to global change. 2012, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Centre for Earth Systems Engineering Research, Newcastle University.
- Blanc J, Hall JW, Roche N, Dawson RJ, Cesses Y, Burton A, Kilsby CG. Enhanced efficiency of pluvial flood risk estimation in urban areas using spatial-temporal rainfall simulations. Journal of Flood Risk Management 2012, 5(2), 143-152.
- Dawson RJ, Walsh CL, Hall JW, Barr SL, Batty M, Bristow AL, Carney S, Dagoumas A, Ford A, Tight MR, Watters H, Zanni AM. Integrated assessment for climate sensitive urban design in London. In: International Conference on Water Sensitive Urban Design. 2012, Melbourne, Australia.
- Jonkman SN, Dawson RJ. Issues and Challenges in Flood Risk Management. Water, Special Issue on Flood Risk Management 2012, 4(4), 785-792.
- Reckien D, Flacke J, Heidrich O, Dawson R. Plans and Realisation - How European Urban Regions Proceed in Adaptation and Mitigation Planning. In: Planet under Pressure: New Knowledge Towards Solutions. 2012, London.
- Walsh L, Dawson R, Heidrich O. Progress and assessment of climate change adaptation and mitigation plans. In: 1st International Conference for Urban Sustainability & Resilience. 2012, London, UK.
- Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Walsh CL. Progress and assessment of climate change adaptation and mitigation plans. In: 1st International Conference on Urban Resilience and Sustainability. 2012, London, UK.
- Mokrech M, Nicholls RJ, Dawson RJ. Scenarios of future built environment for coastal risk assessment of climate change using a GIS-based multicriteria analysis. Environment and Planning B: Planning & Design 2012, 39(1), 120-136.
- Walsh CL, Roberts D, Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Nickson A, Hounsome R. The challenge of integration in city scale analysis: case studies in Durban and London. In: Planet Under Pressure. 2012, London, UK.
- Heidrich O, Dawson R. The natural resource needed to implement adaptation and mitigation strategies. In: Planet under Pressure: New Knowledge Towards Solutions. 2012, London.
- Fu G, Khoury M, Dawson R, Bullock S. Vulnerability Analysis of Interdependent Infrastructure Systems. In: European Conference on Complex Systems. 2012, Université Libre de Bruxelles.
- Fu G, Khoury M, Alderson D, Dawson R, Bullock S, Barr S. Vulnerability Analysis of Large Scale Interdependent Infrastructure Systems. In: Network of Networks: Systemic Risk and Infrastructural Interdependencies. 2012, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Dawson RJ, Peppe R, Wang M. An agent-based model for risk-based flood incident management. Natural Hazards 2011, 59(1), 167-189.
- Dawson RJ, Ball T, Werritty J, Werritty A, Hall JW, Roche N. Assessing the effectiveness of non-structural flood management measures in the Thames Estuary under conditions of socio-economic and environmental change. Global Environmental Change 2011, 21(2), 628-646.
- Walsh CL, Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Barr SL, Batty M, Bristow AL, Carney S, Dagoumas A, Ford AC, Harpham C, Tight MR, Watters H, Zanni A. Assessment of climate change mitigation & adaptation in cities. Urban Design and Planning 2011, 164(2), 75-84.
- Wilby RL, Nicholls RJ, Warren R, Wheater HS, Clarke D, Dawson RJ. Keeping nuclear and other coastal sites safe from climate change. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Civil Engineering 2011, 164(3), 129-136.
- Dawson RJ. Potential pitfalls on the transition to more sustainable cities and how they might be avoided. Carbon Management 2011, 2(2), 175-188.
- Hall JW, Dawson RJ, Barr SL, Batty M, Bristow AL, Carney S, Dagoumas A, Ford A, Tight MR, Walsh CL, Watters H, Zanni AM. City-scale integrated assessment of climate impacts, adaptation and mitigation. In: Bose, R.K, ed. Energy Efficient Cities: Assessment Tools and Benchmarking Practices. Washington, DC, USA: World Bank, 2010, pp.43-64.
- Hall JW, Dawson RJ, Walsh CL, Barker T, Barr SL, Batty M, Bristow AL, Burton A, Carney S, Dagoumas A, Evans S, Ford AC, Glenis V, Goodess CG, Harpham C, Harwatt H, Kilsby CG, Kohler J, Jones P, Manning L, McCarthy M, Sanderson M, Tight MR, Timms PM, Zanni A. Engineering Cities: How can cities grow whilst reducing emissions and vulnerability?. The Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, 2009.
- Dawson RJ, Dickson ME, Nicholls RJ, Hall JW, Walkden MJA, Stansby P, Mokrech M, Richards J, Zhou J, Milligan J, Jordan A, Pearson S, Rees J, Bates P, Koukoulas S, Watkinson A. Integrated analysis of risks of coastal flooding and cliff erosion under scenarios of long term change. Climatic Change 2009, 95(1-2), 249-288.
- Hall JW, Boyce SA, Wang YL, Dawson RJ, Tarantola S, Saltelli A. Sensitivity analysis for hydraulic models. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 2009, 135(11), 959-969.
- Dawson RJ, Speight L, Hall JW, Djordjevic S, Savic D, Leandro J. Attribution of flood risk in urban areas. Journal of Hydroinformatics 2008, 10(4), 275-288.
- Lonsdale K, Downing T, Nicholls R, Parker D, Vafeidis A, Dawson RJ, Hall JW. Plausible responses to the threat of rapid sea-level rise in the Thames Estuary. Climatic Change 2008, 91(1-2), 145-169.
- Dawson RJ, Blenkinsopp S, Fowler H. Scientific Texts provided for: Science I: Trends; Science II: Extremes; Science III: Impacts; Science IV: Actions; Science V: Complicities. In: Munden, P, ed. Feeling the pressure: poetry and science of climate change. London: British Council, 2008, pp.9-84.
- Dawson RJ. Re-engineering cities: a framework for adaptation to global change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 2007, 365(1861), 3085-3098.
- Dawson RJ, Hall JW. Adaptive importance sampling for risk analysis of complex infrastructure systems. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 2006, 462(2075), 3343-3362.
- Hall JW, Dawson RJ, Manning LJ, Walkden M, Dickson M, Sayers P. Managing changing risks to infrastructure systems. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Civil Engineering 2006, 159(2), 21-27.
- Dawson R, Sayers P, Hall J, Hassan M, Bates P. Efficient broad scale coastal flood risk assessment. In: Coastal Engineering: Proceedings of the 29th International Conference. 2005, Portugal, Lisbon: World Scientific Publishing Co Pte Ltd.
- Hall JW, Sayers PB, Dawson RJ. National-scale assessment of current and future flood risk in England and Wales. Natural Hazards 2005, 36(1-2), 147-164.
- Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Bates PD, Nicholls RJ. Quantified Analysis of the Probability of Flooding in the Thames Estuary under Imaginable Worst-case Sea Level Rise Scenarios. International Journal of Water Resources Development 2005, 21(4), 577-591.
- Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Sayers P, Bates PD, Rosu C. Sampling-based flood risk analysis for fluvial dike systems. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 2005, 19(6), 388-402.
- Bates PD, Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Horritt M, Nicholls RJ, Wicks J, Hassan MAAM. Simplified two-dimensional numerical modelling of coastal flooding and example applications. Coastal Engineering 2005, 52(9), 793-810.
- Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Davis J. A performance-based, decision support process for flood defence asset management. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Water Management 2004, 157(1), 35-44.
- Hall JW, Dawson RJ, Sayers P, Rosu C, Chatterton J, Deakin R. A methodology for national-scale flood risk assessment. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Water & Maritime Engineering 2003, 156(3), 235-247.
- Dawson RJ, Hall JW. Probabilistic condition characterisation of coastal structures using imprecise information. In: Coastal Engineering 2002: Proceedings of the 28th International Conference. 2003, Cardiff UK: World Scientific: Singapore.
- Dawson RJ, Hall JW. Improved condition characterisation of coastal defences. In: Breakwaters, Coastal Structures and Coastlines: Proceedings of the International Conference Organized by the Institution of Civil Engineers. 2002, London, UK: London: Thomas Telford.
- Dawson RJ, Hall JW. Improved condition characterisation of coastal defence infrastructure. In: Coastlines, Structures and Breakwaters, 2001: Proceedings of an International Conference. 2001, London, UK: London: Thomas Telford.