CSC1032 : Computer Systems Design and Architectures
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Miss Laura Heels
- Lecturer: Dr Nick Cook, Dr Sadegh Esmaeil Zadeh Soudjani
- Owning School: Computing
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
On completion of this module students will, from a high level perspective, be able to
• describe the purpose of, and the interaction between, the functional hardware and software components of a variety of computer systems
• identify the principal hardware components and software services which provide infrastructure for the Internet from the global scale down to the desktop
• describe how networks interact with operating systems and applications to provide services and share resources among individual systems.
Outline Of Syllabus
• An overview of current computer systems architecture.
• Introduction to Operating Systems: what they are and what they do, management of resources.
• Processes, scheduling. Interprocess communication (IPC).
• Memory, virtual memory and memory management. Files, file systems.
• An introduction to Linux and system administration
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||2||4:00||8:00||Preparation for Formative assessments|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||2||1:00||2:00||Formative assessments|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||44||0:30||22:00||Revision for exam|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||2:00||2:00||Examination|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||24||1:00||24:00||Lecture follow-up|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||24||2:00||48:00||Lectures|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Practical||24||2:00||48:00||Computer classroom|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||46||1:00||46:00||Background reading|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Lectures will be used to introduce the learning material and for demonstrating the key concepts by example. Students are expected to follow-up lectures within a few days by re-reading and annotating lecture notes to aid deep learning.
This is a very practical subject, and it is important that the learning materials are supported by hands-on opportunities provided by practical classes, and on the related Programming Portfolio modules.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|PC Examination||1||M||MCQ 1 hour Mock Exam|
|PC Examination||2||M||MCQ 1 hour Mock Exam|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
Formative practical exercises are set during lab practical classes. Practical assessment is carried out in project modules in a synoptic manner across the stage.
Written examination assesses students’ formal understanding of subject.