FRE4081 : Level D (HE Further Advanced) French: Advanced Writing Skills
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Dr Franck Michel
- Lecturer: Dr Sandra Salin, Dr Hugh Dauncey, Dr Anne-Charlotte Husson
- Other Staff: Ms Christelle Vicente-Jacques, Dr Helen Penet
- Owning School: Modern Languages
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
Semester 1 Credit Value:
Semester 2 Credit Value:
In consonance with the overall aims of the degrees offered in SML, this module will:
- build on language skills gained at Stages 1, 2 and 3.
- provide students with an in-depth knowledge of the target language and with the ability to develop a high level of written proficiency in professional and academic environments.
- prepare students for postgraduate study in areas that make extensive use of the target language.
- develop students' written translation skills into the target language.
Outline Of Syllabus
Specific topics and materials based on current issues will initially be provided by the lecturer. Subsequently, these will be supplied by students themselves for group practice in group work sessions.
Translation into the target language, summarising, and open writing will be practised throughout the year, preparing students for written communication in the target language.
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||33||1:00||33:00||Language classes|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||67:00||67:00||N/A|
Jointly Taught With
|FRE4181||Level D (HE Further Advanced) French: Advanced Writing Skills - Exchange Students Semester 1|
|FRE4281||Level D (HE Further Advanced) French: Advanced Writing Skills - Exchange Students Semester 2|
|FRE4084||Level D (HE Further Advanced) French: Advanced Writing Skills - IBM|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Language classes will introduce, model and offer guidance in each of the skills that students are required to practise during the course (including summary and commentary writing, intensive reading, taking part in critical discussions, and translation into the foreign language).
Group work will offer students an opportunity to work in small groups (in the target language) under close supervision of the lecturer. These classes will focus on the skills listed in the outline syllabus.
Teaching will be mostly in the target language.
- researching materials for oral presentation and discussion
- writing critical discussions and summaries in the target language
- practising written translation
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Written Examination||120||2||A||70||This assessment will test students’ ability to write in the Target Language. *Continued in Assessment Rationale below|
|FRE4281||Level D (HE Further Advanced) French: Advanced Writing Skills - Exchange Students Semester 2||2||N/A|
|Written exercise||1||M||30||This assessment will test students’ ability to write in the Target Language. *Continued in Assessment Rationale below|
|Written exercise||1||M||Various written tasks designed to help students prepare for the written examination|
|Written exercise||2||M||Translation exercise - Various written tasks designed to help students prepare for the written examination.|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
Writing and translation are assessed by means of an examination in order to ensure that the students' output is produced in identical conditions and is their own work.
* (Continued from above) Students may be allowed to type their own answers provided that spell and grammar checks have been disabled.