MAS3091 : Group Project
- Offered for Year: 2018/19
- Module Leader(s): Dr Malcolm Farrow
- Lecturer: Dr Graeme Sarson
- Owning School: Mathematics, Statistics and Physics
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
To develop: oral presentation skills for mathematics and statistics; teamwork skills for organisation; and the ability to write thorough and complete reports on mathematical and statistical problems.
Students will work in groups of five to undertake two projects in either Applied Mathematics or Statistics, following the pathway established in Semester 2 of Stage 2. The groups will attend regular meetings with their supervisor, working towards a group presentation and written report of each project. The project topics will be based on Stage 2 level material but will require additional advanced study.
Outline Of Syllabus
Mathematical and statistical topics as appropriate for the projects allocated.
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||8||0:30||4:00||Seminars|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||2||4:00||8:00||Presentations|
|Guided Independent Study||Student-led group activity||40||1:00||40:00||Group learning|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||48||1:00||48:00||Preparation for presentations and written reports|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Students will develop: teamwork and communication skills through group learning and peer assessment; presentation skills through lectures and giving presentations; mathematical and statistical writing skills through private study, group learning and writing reports.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Written exercise||1||M||15||Project 1: Group Assessment - Group Report|
|Written exercise||1||M||25||Project 2: Group Assessment - Group Report|
|Written exercise||1||M||25||Project 2: Individual Assessment - Group Report|
|Prof skill assessmnt||1||M||6||Project 1: Group Assessment - Group Presentation|
|Prof skill assessmnt||1||M||6||Project 1: Individual Assessment - Group Presentation|
|Prof skill assessmnt||1||M||3||Project 1: Individual participation in peer assessment|
|Prof skill assessmnt||1||M||7||Project 2: Group Assessment - Group Presentation|
|Prof skill assessmnt||1||M||10||Project 2: Individual Assessment - Group Presentation|
|Prof skill assessmnt||1||M||3||Project 2: Individual participation in peer assessment|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The presentations and reports will assess students' individual and team-working skills in mathematical and statistical presentations and writing. The individual will gain credit for the presentations they give and for the second report they submit. The group will gain credit for all presentations given and reports submitted by the group.
* Each student does two projects in groups of five people;
* At the end of each project, each group gives a presentation and a report;
* Each individual gives a presentation for approximately 5 minutes contributing to a group presentation lasting approximately 25 minutes;
* Each individual assesses the presentations of a number of other individuals and provides feedback;
* The two presentations and the second report each have an individual and group assessment; the first report is just a group assessment;
* Reports should be 15-25 pages (12 point type).