MCH3011 : Working in the Film Industry
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Mr Simon Rushton
- Lecturer: Dr Ian McDonald
- Owning School: Arts & Cultures
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||20|
This module will build on Introduction to the Film Industry at Level 4 and give students an awareness and appreciation of the professional and personal skills required to work in different aspects of the Film Industry (be it exhibition, curation, distribution, sales & marketing, film journalism) as well as the challenges of setting up as an independent film company. Students will develop an understanding of the shape and structure of the film industry and be introduced to a range of possible career routes. Students will also be given an overview of the opportunities available for working in the independent film sector, and for film festivals and film societies. They will be given the requisite skill set to be able to operate as a freelancer, or to be able to set up an independent production company. The module will include guest lectures from professionals from the film industry.
This modules aims to:
1. Provide an overview of the diverse and fragmented nature of the film industry in the UK.
2. Examine the range of career and employment possibilities in the UK film industry.
3. Outline the diverse and fragmented nature of the independent film sector, including film festivals and film
4.An appreciation of the generic and particular skills and aptitude (including ethical responsibilities) required to make it as an freelancer or an independent filmmaker.
5. Give an insight into the experience of working in the film industry students.
Outline Of Syllabus
Weekly themes, such as:
- The political economy of film – film as part of the creative industries
- Carving out a career in film
- Post Graduate study to build your career – is film school necessary?
- Carving out a career as a creative in the independent film sector.
- Working in the wider film economy – such as festivals, distribution, criticism.
- Working in audience engagement and impact producing
- Setting up as an independent – from website to production company
- Working in the film industry and the independent sector – testimonies from the inside.
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||60:00||60:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||12||2:00||24:00||Concepts, theoretical underpinnings and historical contextualisations|
|Guided Independent Study||Directed research and reading||1||38:00||38:00||Further project work and readings|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||12||2:00||24:00||Project work and reading based discussions|
|Guided Independent Study||Project work||1||54:00||54:00||N/A|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
This module will be delivered through a combination of lectures and seminars that set out the main ideas and themes. Students will be given a structure within which they will be able to explore the area of film industry that interests them in more depth. Guest lectures by professionals working in the film industry will be invited to talk about their experiences. The combination of lectures, guest speakers, seminars & work experience will give a structure and context for learning, and reading-based discussion in seminars will enable students to have both the breadth and depth of understanding of working in the film industry.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Portfolio||2||A||100||Approx 4000 words reflecting research into working in the film industry.|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The rationale for the assessments is to enable the students to demonstrate an understanding or working in the film industry and to illustrate this through the production of a scholarly 4000 word portfolio. Example content of this portfolio includes: their own online CV, entrance strategies for career plans, case studies of a particular organisation or company that they have worked for (work experience) or researched about.