MKT2004 : Research Methods for Business and Marketing
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Miss Eftychia Palamida
- Demonstrator: Mr Hao Du, Dr Pattanapong Tiwasing
- Lecturer: Dr Victoria Mountford-Brown
- Owning School: Newcastle University Business School
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
The aim of the module is to develop an understanding of the methods used in marketing research and their role in supporting marketing decision making.
Marketing research comprises one of the most important facets of marketing; it plays a central role in supporting marketing and business decision making. This module introduces the marketing research process and focuses in detail on the main marketing research methods used at each step of the process. In particular, students should demonstrate an understanding of the issues of defining marketing research problems, research design (measurement, questionnaire design, sampling), data collection, data analysis and presentation of results. Semester 1 of the course covers quantitative research methods whilst semester 2 covers secondary research and qualitative research methods. Semester 2 will also help the students to develop an assignment. Teaching is delivered through lectures and computer based practicals.
Outline Of Syllabus
The topics that will be covered include;
1. The Market Research Process
2. Research Design (qualitative and quantitative)
3. Types of Data
4. Quantitative research methods
5. Measurement and scaling
6. Questionnaire design
7. Sampling & Data collection
8. Data analysis
9. Research Methods in Dissertation, Consultancy Projects and Advanced Modules
10. Qualitative research methods and design for marketing and academia
11. Conducting a Literature Search
13. Presentation of results
14. Ethical issues in marketing research
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||2||1:30||3:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||52:00||52:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||8||2:00||16:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||1||1:00||1:00||Inclusive of a Webinar|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||3||2:00||6:00||Small group teaching session of approx 30 will form into seminar group size of 5.|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Workshops||8||1:00||8:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Student-led group activity||1||60:00||60:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||54:00||54:00||N/A|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Formal lectures provide a theoretical framework for confronting contemporary issues in marketing research. These will be supplemented by tutorials and in-class case studies and computer based practicals that will provide students with relevant practical illustrations. Students are also expected to work unsupervised in groups and present their work in a seminar. The group assignment encourages students to contribute actively and collectively to the learning process and provide them the opportunity to develop a range of transferable skills such as team working and analytical skills etc.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Written Examination||90||2||A||50||Unseen written examination|
|Module Code||Module Title||Semester||Comment|
|LMK2004||Research Methods for Business and Marketing||2||N/A|
|Report||1||A||50||10% Group Presentation subject to peer review (5 members in a group). 40% Assignment (1,500 words). Total 50%|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
Students will be assessed through:
1. An exam of quantitative research methods in Semester 2 [50%]
2. Development of an assignment in Semester 1 [Activity 1: Group Presentation (10%) and Activity 2: An individual assignment (40%): Total 50%]
Semester 2: Written Exam
The written examination provides students the opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of the various research methods and how their skills can be applied to specific research problem scenarios. The assessment design is intended to help students to understand the principles of marketing research and to instill confidence in using research methods in their future dissertations as well as in their subsequent career.
Semester 1: Assignment
In semester 1 students will submit an assignment, of which there are 2 activity components.
A. A key skills development and assessment of a group 5-minute presentation. This is a lightweight assessment, and will form 10% of the final assignment. This presentation is designed to allow students an opportunity to develop team working ability and presentation skills. Both of these skills are defined as key components in the student learning experience.
B. The second component of the assignment is the submission of the individual project itself. Students will, building upon learning undertaken during the group projects submit an individual assignment of 1500 words at the end of semester 1.