MUS1092 : Ensemble 1
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Ms Catriona Macdonald
- Lecturer: Mr Alistair Anderson
- Owning School: Arts & Cultures
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
• To develop skills in ensemble playing - listening, balancing sounds, blending voice and instrument, playing tightly together, complementing the sound of others, giving space
• To develop arranging skills - building on the theoretical base from Stage 1 Music Skills Modules
• To develop performance groups and thence to provide performance experience
• To bring a different perspective to repertoire building than that provided within MUS1058
• To develop the ability to work productively in groups, negotiate outcomes and manage conflicts and tensions
• To develop skills in second-study instrument (by approval of the DPD)
Outline Of Syllabus
Compulsory module - please see module summary.
A series of weekly three hour small group (approx 3 - 4 students) tutor-led workshops will challenge and support students in the development of ensemble skills and the application and further development of arranging skills learnt in Stage 1 Music Skills modules. Students may be given listening assignments in preparation for specific workshops and will be required to undertake individual preparation for specific workshops. Ensemble groups meet for a further two hours per week for unsupervised rehearsal and development of arrangements. Ensemble groups will give at least one short informal performance to fellow students and friends per semester.
Students who have demonstrated ability and commitment in a second-study instrument may apply to receive up to six hours’ tuition in a second instrument, by approval of the DPD.
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||22||1:00||22:00||Vocal group workshops|
|Guided Independent Study||Skills practice||1||78:00||78:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||20||3:00||60:00||Ensembles. Where applicable may include up to six hours’ tuition on second-study instrument.|
|Guided Independent Study||Student-led group activity||20||2:00||40:00||Ensembles|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Performance||20||2||A||80||A recital lasting 20 minutes|
|Performance||20||2||A||20||Vocal group recital of 20 minutes|
|Performance||1||A||Interim Recital 2 sets required|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The recital will require you to apply knowledge gained from the module's key themes through independent research and through the development of your ensemble / arrangement skills.
Formative recital in Semester 1 (2 sets required).