MUS3196 : Student Placement for Education in the Community
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Mrs Julia Partington
- Owning School: Arts & Cultures
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
• To provide opportunities for engaged study
• To foster skills in music education and project development, bolstering the student’s portfolio of skills and knowledge
• To advance ICMuS’s strategy of engaged teaching, strengthening the student’s and the institution’s relationship with targeted partners representative of today’s social realities
• To advance the University’s engagement ethos as outlined in the document Vision 2021 A World-Class Civic University, in particular as relates to Social Renewal and Sustainability
• To invest resources in music education, thus contributing to the sustainability of the discipline at schools, with a view to long-term strengthening of ICMuS’s recruitment base.
Outline Of Syllabus
This module is a project based on independent study. Prior to any placement, students will receive in-house induction on specific aspects of community work and education specific to the placement’s target demographic. Thereafter the student will attend at the placement school, meeting the supervisor at ICMuS for monitoring on a fortnightly basis. Twice during the placement all the students will meet to share experiences.
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||64||1:00||64:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||2||2:00||4:00||N/A|
|Placement/Study Abroad||Employer-based learning||1||40:00||40:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Project work||1||40:00||40:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Student-led group activity||6||2:00||12:00||N/A|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||40||1:00||40:00||N/A|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Employer-based learning will enable IKOs 1-4 and ISOs 1, 3, 5, 6, 7.
Project work will foster ISOs 3, 4, 5.
Independent study will promote IKOs 1-4 and ISOs 3, 4, 5.
Student-led group activity will practise ISOs 1-7.
Advance preparation will enable the student to perform in ‘Project work’ and ‘Student-led group activity’.
Lectures introduce students to key issues and approaches that will be developed in other teaching and experiential contexts.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Observ of prof pract||1||2||A||30||N/A|
|Research proposal||1||M||20||up to 1000 words|
|Report||2||A||50||2500 words reflection on practice|
|Written exercise||1||M||Completion of health and safety paperwork, including DBS application in early Semester 1.|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The research proposal orients the student towards the practical placement and ensures that sufficient prior knowledge (from lectures and workshops) has been assimilated to ensure a successful placement.
Observation of professional practice allows students to be examined on the actual outcomes of their projects.
The report is an opportunity to answer research questions raised by the project, and allows for reflections on the practical work carried out.