NES8007 : Academic and professional skills for MSc
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Mrs Helen Adamson
- Demonstrator: Mrs Julia Robinson, Miss Helen Atkinson
- Lecturer: Dr Elisa Lopez-Capel, Dr Geoffrey Abbott, Dr Neil Gray, Dr Simon Peacock, Dr Sanem Acikalin Cartigny, Dr Martin Jones
- Owning School: Natural and Environmental Sciences
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
To support student transition to postgraduate study and, in particular, to introduce students to the research, planning, analytical and scientific writing skills to produce MSc-level assignments and dissertations.
Outline Of Syllabus
• Computer Practical (CP): Searching literature, referencing using Endnote
• CP: Using Styles for efficient Word Processing
• CP: Managing data with Excel: pivots, lookups, other functions
• Lecture(L) /Seminar(S) Developing a hypothesis and research questions, experimental design
• L/S: Thinking and writing critically
• L/S: Writing scientifically: a scientific paper, a project proposal, an essay
• Field and Lab health and safety -
• Careers day: talks and workshops from local workers in environmental and ecological science organisations.
• Chemistry for non-chemists
• Ecology for non-ecologists
• Geology for non-geologists
• Microbiology for non-biologists
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||8||3:00||24:00||Non-specialist skills, H&S and DPD meets|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||3||3:00||9:00||DPD Introduction|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||1||1:00||1:00||Introduction|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||9||3:00||27:00||Critique of project proposal|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Practical||3||2:00||6:00||MS office and careers preparation|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Practical||1||3:00||3:00||Library skills|
|Guided Independent Study||Skills practice||11||2:00||22:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Workshops||1||3:00||3:00||Critical thinking workshop|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Workshops||1||5:00||5:00||Careers day|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
Workshops to allow students to explore the skills they need.
A combination of lectures with associated practicals to allow students to learn theory then practise data analysis techniques in computer labs.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Written exercise||1||M||100||Critical review of former project proposals, in terms of context within literature. Approx. 2000 words|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
Assessment 1 will assess understanding of how to write well and will allow critical assessment of literature and of project proposals of peers. It will also assess the outcomes regarding word processing and literature searching and referencing skills. It should allow students to start to work MSc level.