SOC3085 : Student Exchange
- Offered for Year: 2019/20
- Module Leader(s): Dr Dariusz Gafijczuk
- Owning School: Geography, Politics & Sociology
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||40|
1. To facilitate student mobility within and beyond the EU.
2. To enable students to develop their foreign language skills
3. To promote a greater awareness of differences and similarities in the sociological, political, economic and/ or social policy issues of countries other than the UK.
4. To encourage students to undertake dissertation work with an international perspective
5. To encourage students to undertake courses in subject areas not normally available at Newcastle University
1. Students should complete successfully studies worth 40 credits (20 ECTS) while abroad. It is a normal requirement that students are expected to attend Lectures, Workshops and Practicals and complete assessed work and exams as timetabled by the host University.
2. Students are also expected to progress their Dissertation research and produce a first draft, over the period spent abroad. Dissertation supervision will be provided via email/telephone by the student's Dissertation Supervisor in Newcastle.
3. In addition, students may be required to attend short language courses provided by the host institution, especially at Universities teaching in their respective languages.
4. Expected duration of Exchange visit: 14/18 weeks (early September to mid-December/mid-January, allowing for examinations) Note that duration will vary according to academic calendars of different Universities.
Outline Of Syllabus
Students should complete successfully modules worth 40 credits (20 ECTS/ 12 credits USA) while abroad. It is a normal requirement that students are expected to attend lectures and practicals and complete assessed work and exams as timetabled by the host University. In addition, students may be required to attend short language courses provided by the host institution, especially at Universities teaching in their respective languages. Expected duration of Erasmus Exchange visit: 14/18 weeks (max 5 months, from mid-January to late May, allowing for examinations). Note that duration will vary according to academic calendars of different Universities. The syllabus is agreed with students, in consultation with the School Erasmus/Study Abroad coordinator and the relevant Degree Programme Director(s). Students undertaking an Erasmus exchange must completed a learning agreement listing all the modules taken at the host prior to commencement of the exchange period abroad.
|Placement/Study Abroad||Study Abroad||1||400:00||400:00||N/A|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Written exercise||1||M||100||Please consult host University for examination type|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship