There are a range of theatre venues in Newcastle, including:
- Theatre Royal, which hosts the Royal Shakespeare Company and Opera North every year
- Live Theatre, hosting smaller, independent productions
- The City Hall, a popular venue for live music and comedy
- The Tyne Theatre, hosting plays, music and comedy acts
- The People's Theatre, a premier amateur dramatics company with its own theatre
- Northern Stage - the largest producing theatre company in the North East of England, right on the University campus
There are a range of dance opportunities in Newcastle.
In addition, Metro Radio Arena holds touring dance events such as Strictly Come Dancing Live, Dancing on Ice Live and Cirque Du Solei.